Just bought a 1975 XS650

Mad Dawg

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I bought an 1975 XS650 a couple of weeks ago. It was someones brat project. I was intending to brat one out anyhow and I liked the work the guy did when I went to look at it, so I bought it for $750.00. Currently, it's at a friends house and we got the tank on and got her running. She idles beautifully, but when we put a load on her she starts running really rough and backfiring. My buddy is the mechanic and believes it's the timing chain, however it's been suggested to me by another mechanic friend that she's probably running too lean. She has the stock carbs with dual cable throttles on it, but the guy I bought it from had put air filter pods on it. The other friend suggested I get bigger jets for the carbs. I'm inclined to find a newer set of carbs and go to a single throttle cable anyhow... I'm sure we'll get it figured out soon 'nough.

I only have two pictures of the bike that I took the day I bought it, but I'm going to post them for you guys so you know my starting point.:thumbsup:

Here's the pics. The gas tank is brand new.
full

I'm looking forward to my project and getting to know some of you guys!

Later,
Mark

Hi and Welcome!
There is tons of info on this site and some really helpful people too, so you should have her up and running sweetly in no time!
Check out the Tech section and look under Carb guides and ive bought one - now what.
On the face of it, it sounds like your carbs need a good clean out. Once apart you can ascertain what the PO has been doing!

Hi and Welcome!
There is tons of info on this site and some really helpful people too, so you should have her up and running sweetly in no time!
Check out the Tech section and look under Carb guides and ive bought one - now what.
On the face of it, it sounds like your carbs need a good clean out. Once apart you can ascertain what the PO has been doing!

With pod filters and straight pipes, you're going to need to change jets no matter which carb set you end up running.

Figured I'd need to change the jets. Thanks for the confirmation. Also thanks for the replies and links. Gonna have most of December off. Time to get building.

Hey guys,

Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving.

I've been looking for replacement parts for my 650 and one has me stumped. I don't know how to post pics, but if you look at the link to my album above and look at the pic of my bike, there is a circular cover plate right above the brake foot peg(the one with the cut/dent in it).

I cannot find this cover on any other pics of an xs650 I've seen. I have verified that I have an XS-B(US) 74-75 from the VIN number, yet I cannot find another bike with this part. All the pics I've found doing specific searches for my year are missing this cover and has yamaha stamped on the engine there. It looks to be a thin cover plate with no real purpose, yet I am curious as to why it's on my bike.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
Mark

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I was sure it's cosmetic, but I sorta like it and wanted to know what it was called so I could get one without the cut in it.

Mark

On posting pics. Just below where you write is a Go Advanced button. Click it, this take you to a page where you can do more things than just reply. Add smilies and such. Scroll down a bit and you will find a button where it says manage attachments, click it. A window pops up with a bunch of browse buttons, click one, it takes you to the pics in your computer. Select the pic and click upload.
Once it uploads your golden.
Leo

Back