Just bought this for $80

Eotnak

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIN 2F0-15xxxx 1978 or 1979 XS-SF. Missing a few parts. I can't wait to tear it down and see what is salvageable. Ideally everything :shrug: because I'd love to start a custom build. Found it in a scrap yard as the title says $80. Talked him down from $100.

20151015_172508_zpsfk7ro8vc.jpg

20151015_172450_zps5no5kdst.jpg

20151015_172407_zps1jzp6dpg.jpg

I think it's a good deal as a parts bike, not sure I'd want to try and bring it up to snuff. The money and effort involved would make it unreasonable to me, but if it's a labor of love that changes the equation. The frame and title alone would double your investment.

yup it's the little things that add up. It really started as an urge to tear down my '82 because it bothers me that I don't know everything there is to know about it. So I'm just going to tear it down and see what happens to these parts when they're neglected...and I get to chop up a frame with impunity.

I'd a bought that for $80 too...Good deal you got there...

If you start pricing parts on eBay, you'll quickly see you did good. One wheel alone often sells for that much.

i'll take the seat. just kidding...

forks look ok from a distance, carbs, wheels, various motor parts, possibly the headlight... good score.

Definitely worth the $80 you paid. Idk what your budget is for the rebuild, but depending on the state of things it could easily add up. Especially the little things like missing bolts/seals/covers etc. I'd set a budget and begin pricing things out to see if it's worth you while. Otherwise, as stated above the parts alone could go for easily three times your investment and that money into your other XS.

Yup you guys bring up some great points, obviously. I'm already eyeing up bikes that are in better shape. I'm thinking this one will end up being a parts/learning/practice bike. I learned a lot from tuning up my '82, and I've chopped up cars before, this would be my first bike project.

The way that left side was left open to the elements (and no dip stick installed), I think a bottom end tear down is warranted. Who knows, all the gears and bearings inside may be rusty.

Most definitely. The left side seems OK, the plug and cylinder have an oil film on them. The right side has rust. I'm soaking them in ATF/acetone, but I need to pull the exhaust pipes and plug them for even penetration.

Good news is that there is no starter so I hope the cover/ fill plug was pulled at the same time so no water actually sat in there, only whatever ran by and drained, as well as evaporation from the ground into the crankcase. I'm going to plug that hole as well and let it soak before I attempt to turn the crank.

I am taking pics, but haven't had a chance upload them yet.

VIN 2F0-15xxxx 1978 or 1979 XS-SF. Missing a few parts. I can't wait to tear it down and see what is salvageable. Ideally everything :shrug: because I'd love to start a custom build. Found it in a scrap yard as the title says $80. Talked him down from $100.

Hi Eotnak,
that's a deal! I've seen far worse sell for lots more.
Before you put serious money into getting it roadworthy, check if you can put the bike in your name.
You can re-purpose the rototiller bars into the start of a windchime, they are good for nowt else.
I managed to salvage one of those hiback seat pans by sawing the hiback off and welding on a filler piece at the back to convert it into a normal pan.
The rest just takes time, effort and money.

IN NJ if you don't have a title you are screwed. Look for a frame with title. It just a waste of time to go to DMV bike numbers are not in system and if they tell you to pay the $60.00 for lost title run as fast as you can. I did one of those in 2012 and still have not got a title. They send me a paper every once in a while saying bike needs to be INSPECTED for paper work???? THERE IS NO INSPECTIONS IN NJ!!!!! When I took paper work there they said HUH! I guess they need to contact Trenton. I did and they said bikes over 15 yrs old may not be able to get Titles until law is changed. They said talk to my congress man HAHA.
If you want a title for that frame you can use a title company.
http://www.motorecyclenow.com/title-service.html

Back