Just cuts off Please Help

I have an 82 on the lift, all the shots were within a few seconds of each other. This bike was charging good but I don't much trust "charging good" OR PO's and the wife is planning on riding this bike this year.

I got this from "flipper" who had it "all fixed up" and "overhauled". About 10 different items so far that he fixed wrong, and I am far from done. The good news is he didn't work on it very long.....

rotor 001.jpg

rotor 002.jpg

rotor 003.jpg

rotor 005.jpg

rotor 006.jpg

rotor 007.jpg

This is the paint she wants on it.

xsdetails 008.jpg

Figure another 40 hours and it should be road worthy and look decent.

When I started,

xsdetails 014.jpg

It "ran" the night I picked it up. :wtf: Carbs are done now.

When you say "cut off".
Do you mean like a light switch?
Does it kind of slowly die?
Does it sputter and then die?.....Al

the bike just stops running. like I turned off the ignition. Runs for about 15 minutes thens just stops. no spark. Let sit about 15 minutes and it starts up. Now I did this all weekend, now the battery will not even start the bike. SO I charged the battery but it will just happen again. Does that make sense

Do you have access to another coil with the leads moulded in, as it sounds just like the issue I had with my leads. I had reterminated them but they had gone faulty as a whole. I went through and replaced a considerable portion of the ignition system until I realised what the fault was. Luckily my leads werent moulded in.

I dont but I was thinking about buying one anyway. I think they are only 40 bucks or so. So you had the same problem? Can you please expand on this? Thanks!

Yep, exactly that same. My bike was running a Boyer ignition though. everytime I rode it, it would start fine and run very well for about 5 - 10 mins then just stop dead. After a while I learnt fruitless kicking over would not start it! So I would just leave it for 5 mins or so and it would fire right back to life, then repeat its annoying escapades!

I went through everything from wiring to charging, through to ignition and coil, even changing both out to no avail. I was "confident" int he plug wires as they were only 12 months old (epic fail) so they were left to last. I had run out of options when I decided to try some new ones, its never missed a beat since! Cost me a pretty penny and I felt a right arse to boot! :)

wow crazy. Glad you got it fixed. I may order one anyway as mine may be original and the plug wires look beat up etc...

Well it gets worse. I got my battery fully charged and it checked out good. hooked it up and the bike did not fire. RG I did take the brushes out and checked the ring to ring reading again, was 4.8 -2 = 4.6. I then checked one ring to the case and on all ohm scales I get nothing, like just 1. What does this mean? Aslo the ohm reading on the pickup coil was low, 540 ohms. So now I;m really lost. I took out the entire harness which is easy since I,m using the tc brothers harness and went to bed. Frustrated. So now I thought maybe I should just start checking each componant and take it from there. Any thoughts....

Unplug the voltage regulator see if the bike will start / fire the plugs.
A weak pick up magnet on the rotor will act like this.

will do. ONe thing worth mentioning is when I try to start the bike and it does not fire, then I turn off the switch, it backfires like hell. Dosent that mean there is a spark when I turn the ignition off?

Yes that is normal operation, when you turn off the key the ignition coil field collapses and that what makes the spark, that tends to point to there being no signal from the pick ups to the TCI when you are cranking.

The way I see it, you have more than one problem. The alternator rotor is bad, and the ignition pick-up coil is bad. Also your "ignition switch" is suspect and should be replaced with a proper motorcycle ignition switch.

You can go 2 ways:

1) Stay with the old stock TCI .................buy a working pick-up coil (2 coils at 700 ohms each), and buy a new rotor or have your rotor rewound. The TCI black box while good when they were new, is now getting old and reliability is falling.

2) Spend some money and buy a new PMA and a Pamco igniton (new coil and sp leads). Pamcopete will soon have an electronic mod to eliminate the mechanical advance weights. If you go this way, wait for the new mod to go on sale.

what are the picks ups. the pick up coil? when I checked the ohm rweading on the pu coil plug it was under 600

Not exactly to spec, but what I have usually seen is the pick up coils are either good, working or completely bad (open circuit no reading).

RG has it laid out pretty well for you.

AHEM;
I probably have every thing you might need to R&R the ignition and charging system. But I am weird, I only like to sell parts to replace KNOWN bad parts. I hate shipping random parts that might fix the problem. Tested parts in my inventory help repair bikes, literally around the world, random unmarked parts sitting in a cardboard box in "some guys garage" do no one any good. Really hope Pete can get production advance units out soon. The world is going to be beating a path to his door.

OK off my soap box, I gotta get back downstairs and keep troubleshooting the 82 with a misfire at idle on the left cylinder.

Back