Just cuts off Please Help

Well the hot coil points strongly at a dead TCI.

The TCI has a timing circuit if the motor isn't spinning it shuts off the ground path to the coil, so that the coil doesn't over heat. Sounds like your TCI isn't doing that, i.e. it's brain dead.

A little back ground here; MSHick welded on this bike with the TCI hooked up.

Thanks Gary. Anyone have a good tci box at a reasonbable price? Please let me know. By the end of this week I will have replaced the rotor and pickup coil (good working parts) all for under 65 bucks. So I feel Im way ahead plus there is something to be said for keeping things original for me anyway. Thanks for all the help. So I NEED a tci. Anyone...:yikes:

Posted via Mobile

Update.... Recieved my TCI in the mail yesterday (thanks Justincycles) and it worked!!!! Fired right up and got 14.5 volts at 3k rpm's
First, thanks to all of you that helped along the way and hung in there with me. Big thanks to GGGary for taking my texts and phone calls etc... and did not get tired of my never ending questions. So the problem... I welded on the frame with the battery/electronics hooked up and fried the TCI box.

Leasons learned that I may pass along to others having the same problem.

NEVER weld on a frame with your battery/electronics hooked up
Listen to thes guys here, they know there stuff
Dont throw money at the problem, diagnose in an orderly conduct
Dont get too frusterated as it takes time to do it right
Use the want adds, people want to help
I replaced my rotor, pickup coil and tci box for about 100 bucks. These people wanted to help me fix the problem not make money off me. Thanks!!

Again, thanks to all. Gary I will be sending you the old tci box

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have this same problem with my '78 Special. I replaced the ignition with Boyer/Bransden unit years ago, and it has always performed very well. I just last replaced my charging system with the PAM unit from MikesXS. Everything seemed to be performing well after the install. The was charging the battery at bit over 13 volts when the rpms were brought up.

I rode the bike yesterday from Burleson where I live to a event in Waxahachie which was about 40 miles one way. I was on my way home and only about 5 or 6 miles out when the bike just died? It was like I had turned off the switch. After sitting for about 10 or 15 minutes I was able to restart and went about 2 miles before it did it again. It did not want to restart this time. I had a good samatanian stop with trailer and transported me & the bike home. The bike still did not want to start after I got home.

What I am reading here is I should change my plug wires? They have been on the bike I put Boyer ignition on years ago. Also I noticed that the plug where the old stator plugged into the wiring harness has some burnt melted plastic and I had really hard time getting it apart. Maybe I remove all of that? The headlight is working ok, but I know now I need to make sure to tail/stop is working ok. All well as the turn signals.

Any other help anyone can give would be appreciated? You have my thanks in advance.

Marty

What I am reading here is I should change my plug wires?

Marty

Yup that's it! Your bike quit for some undetermined reason and we all agree, change your plug wires.

In case that was too subtle, test and narrow down the cause of your bike not running
It's good that it doesn't run at all, that makes troubleshooting a lot easier, seriously.

Test and narrow, 3 things to make an engine run; fuel, spark, compression. What's missing on your bike?

Your PMA, PAM isn't right, should charge somewhere in the 14 to 14.5 range anywhere much above idle to keep the battery charged. 13 volts is just barely breaking even and after awhile the battery discharges to a point where the very voltage sensitive Boyer won't work.
First check for battery voltage then charge the battery up and try to see if it runs. If not you might have a poor ground somewhere. Probably on the reg/rec.
Leo

Your PMA, PAM isn't right, should charge somewhere in the 14 to 14.5 range anywhere much above idle to keep the battery charged. 13 volts is just barely breaking even and after awhile the battery discharges to a point where the very voltage sensitive Boyer won't work.
First check for battery voltage then charge the battery up and try to see if it runs. If not you might have a poor ground somewhere. Probably on the reg/rec.
Leo

Thanks for the info, I will check that. I didn't realize the output would be that high just off idle. What you say about the Boyer ignition makes a lot of sense.

Marty

In post #88, I liked the part about the "burnt melted plastic".

What is partially melted is the plug where the output from the old stator plugged in. Looks as if at some point the spade lugs in the plug had a high resistance connection and built up quite a bit of heat. I looked at it and saw nothing shorted, and it wasn't being used with the new PAM setup. I will get it all cleaned this time when sorting out the current problem.

But, thanks for the input!!

Marty

Update.... Recieved my TCI in the mail yesterday (thanks Justincycles) and it worked!!!! Fired right up and got 14.5 volts at 3k rpm's
First, thanks to all of you that helped along the way and hung in there with me. Big thanks to GGGary for taking my texts and phone calls etc... and did not get tired of my never ending questions. So the problem... I welded on the frame with the battery/electronics hooked up and fried the TCI box.

Leasons learned that I may pass along to others having the same problem.

NEVER weld on a frame with your battery/electronics hooked up
Listen to thes guys here, they know there stuff
Dont throw money at the problem, diagnose in an orderly conduct
Dont get too frusterated as it takes time to do it right
Use the want adds, people want to help
I replaced my rotor, pickup coil and tci box for about 100 bucks. These people wanted to help me fix the problem not make money off me. Thanks!!

Again, thanks to all. Gary I will be sending you the old tci box

"I welded on the frame with the battery/electronics hooked up and fried the TCI box."

I know someone who did that. Fried their tci too. I wish you had mentioned that earlier.

Silver lining: You learned alot about your bike. Very valuable info you WILL use in the future. Congrats on getting it done.

Cant go wrong with a PAMCO :thumbsup:

"

Back