just getting started with 79 xs project

johnpagn

Working on it every day
Reaction score
Ok so I'v been wanting an xs for a project for a wile . Kept looking on cl and finally found something I could afford :)

I found a79xs650 someone took apart and chopped for a bobber
It felt like Christmas.

I have several bikes and have worked on a few of my friends but admittedly this seems like a big project to me , but I'm excited .

First things first tho. I have half a frame with a title. Originality I was thinking to hardtail it and go with that, but I dont really want a hardtail .
I found a guy near buy that will sell me a hole frame for 75 bux .

So,
Here's what I'm thinking. I want to go long and low. not sure if I wnt to rake out the neck or not so I'll hold out on that for now.
I'd like to stretch the back 5-6" and put the shocks back in the mix. My frame is chopped off at the bottom of the down tube and just in front of there on the bottom tubes.
Haven't really figured out how I'm going to stretch it yet . I was thinking to lengthen the swing arm and lower the shock mounts, but being that its chopped before the mount for the swing arm I was giving thought to adding a little to it at that point as well . I havent seen anyone stretch these frames that way and wanted to know what your thoughts were on it.
Any reason it might be a bad idea ? Not to sure if that would look funny ? Any reason no one has done this ?

Also thought I should add I'm low on cash so this will be a long term low budget project, but I do have full access to an auto repair shop and will be doing everything myself .

Last edited:
Ok ? no one has any thoughts on my frame ideas ? Well with giving it a little more thought and having issues with my mig yesterday I may just go with a complete frame as a starting point. I'm sure it will be an easier start seeing as this will be my first and thats probably for the best.

Welcome to the forum. I would start with a complete frame, then go from there. Sorry I don't have any specifics on the rest of your questions. Post pictures of your progress.

Sherwin

Last edited:
Ok, so its been a wile.
I'v been working on things so I thought I'd make a up date to this.
I got a frame from a 78 stripped it sand blasted it and cut off a bunch of un wanted tabs and such.

Getting out the swing arm bolt took 2 days and I need a new one if any one has a spare.
I'm planning to get some coker tires so frame mods are on hold till then as I'v read that they will change the ride height.

To keep things moving forward I polished the outer edge of my mags , masked them off, and started painting the rest black with epoxy paint. Not sure I'm happy with the paint yet but will post pics soon.
Today I started on polishing the lower legs. Filed all the casting marks with a rat tail and half round , blended things together with
rollock pads and started wet sanding with wd40 and 400 grit.
This seems like it will take a wile but is coming along nicely.
Pics to come . I need to barrow my wifes camera and take it to the shop.

I did the stretch with my 79. Added 4.5" to the swingarm and used stock shocks. I had to cut and bend up the rear hoop then reweld it to clear the tire. I have taller Avons on my bike. With the leverage change on the shocks once you extend the swingarm you put more compression on the springs with the same weight. I am only 170 and found that I still hit during hard bumps, but don't feel it. I just noticed some paint is gone so i know it hit. I guess stiffer shocks would work if a big boy wanted to ride it. mine are on the stiffest settings already.

I already had 2 offers to buy it but I am going to keep it a while and build one for one of the guys, use mine as a demo-test bed. He is much taller then me too so he might want foward controls. I really like the smooth ride and am glad I went this route. The rigid i started was too much for my back but it did look cool like most of then do. I plan on making another in what they cal brat style, maybe some strech and take off the rear hoop all together. Someone sells a 4.5" strech on fleabay at a fair price. I have not held one yet so I can't vouch for the quality but I know it was ahssles doing the job right.

That is similar with what I went with except for the drop seat. Yes the changed angle on the shocks puts more load on them. Watch your ground clearance too. Shortened kickstand, rear barke mods and drive chain clearance at the swingarm pivot are other issues that pop up.
XSGTbuild00100.jpg

For those of u who like pics I finally took some :)

The first two are of the rims I polished and painted. Third is of the lower legs after two days of polishing work.

The last two are of my lil work area. Not much fancy here but it works for now.

Attachments

• xs650 project first pics 006.jpg
    xs650 project first pics 006.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 59
  • xs650 project first pics 005.jpg
    xs650 project first pics 005.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 80
  • xs650 project first pics 004.jpg
    xs650 project first pics 004.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 69
  • xs650 project first pics 003.jpg
    xs650 project first pics 003.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 93
  • xs650 project first pics 001.jpg
    xs650 project first pics 001.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 76
I was doing some work on my triple trees today and thought I'd throw up some pics of that as well.

Cant do much with the bottom so just cleaned it up and a little light shaping.
As for the top ,I cut off the extra parts with a sawzall ,ground it down with an angle grinder ,and started doing some shaping with a file.
I'll work on that some more tomorrow.

Attachments

• xs650 project first pics 007.jpg
    xs650 project first pics 007.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 70
  • xs650 project first pics 008.jpg
    xs650 project first pics 008.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 77
  • xs650 project first pics 009.jpg
    xs650 project first pics 009.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 81
  • xs650 project first pics 010.jpg