Just introducing myself, first timer...

BigM04

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself. I recently came into possesion of not one, not two, but three 650's, one that's pretty much still together, and the other two are in pieces. I've been told they're circa 1984. Basically it's now my job to piece together one bike out of these three.
Now I know I have my hands full, these bike have been sitting up for about the last 20 years or so, and not always inside. Needless to say I have a full restoration ahead of myself... and 20 years of what so far has been nothing but surface rust. I'm wanting to go the cafe style bike, and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to all the time I know I have ahead of me putting this thing together,and the satisfaction I'll have when it's all done.
I've been pretty much a car guy, but bikes have always kinda had a special place in my heart, so this is my first time really messing with a bike on this level. Thanks ahead of time for the probable million of questions I'll be asking....

Congrats on the bikes and Welcome.
It's always good to hear someones taking an interest in getting another XS on the road. Good luck with your build and yeah we would love some pics. :)

Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself. I recently came into possesion of not one, not two, but three 650's, one that's pretty much still together, and the other two are in pieces. I've been told they're circa 1984. - - -

Hi BigM04,
welcome to the site and congratulations on your find.
Check the frame serial code letters against the sticky that tells you exactly what bikes you have.
But before you turn a wrench or spend a dollar on those bikes, make sure that you really own them.
There's a sad story on this very site about someone turning a junker into a prizewinning showbike and the person who had managed to retain the junker's title snatching the bike back after it was completed.
Next step, buy a manual and read it cover to cover.
And OF COURSE, post some photos.

Yep, found a manual online, been making my way through that... I was able to get titles for two of the bikes, the one for the third bike was lost... which of course is the one that is pretty much complete.... So instead of dealing with that hassle, I'm just gonna use that one for it's motor, and odds and ends stuff... I've started working on cleaning up the other frame, but I know I have a lot of hours and sandpaper ahead of me...
10153007_971466132346_7994807769901053756_n.jpg

10247290_971466162286_7649216555816749152_n.jpg

10012501_971466326956_262407313586677221_n.jpg

Back