Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

I`ve probably posted this before but HH was one of my all time aviation hero`s.:thumbsup: Check out the instrument panel. I think my Cherokee was more complicated than that.:shrug:
View attachment 258191
I met my wife while we worked at Hughes Aircraft. Years earlier she had met and chatted with him. She worked "Configuration Management". One of those obscure entities that gobble up defense $. As programs advance and designs mature someone has to keep track of the changes. A very obscure but important part of DoD readiness. A -1 Power Supply may work fine in a -7 radar set but a -7 processor may not work in a -1 radar set. When backward or forward interchangability stops there are rule about issuing new part numbers and new part number series.

Last edited:
1703717050141.jpeg

Could be a nightmare... everything is tracked by serial number, imagine the headaches!!! S/N 134A16 and 127A21 both flew 40 hours last month. They used half the fuel of squadron mates, promote those pilots for fuel effienency...
Those two birds need less maintenance actions than any other bird in the Air Force, promote the ground crews. That squadron Commander really knows how to motivate his troops, promote him to General...

1704130654008.png

The wing of a 727 is indeed an amazing thing and here's one with all leading edge flaps and slats deployed and the trailing edge flaps fully extended to 40 degrees. The wing spoilers are also extended, which creates that square hole in the wing when the flaps are down - you can see a cabin window in the middle of it. This was a configuration that was prohibited in flight - the speed brakes were not to be used when the flaps were extended.

The 737 affair... https://www.moonofalabama.org/2024/01/boeings-737-max-is-still-a-mess.html#more

(I have heard tell that the several sub-assemblies are sometimes fitted with the aid of alignment bars and hammers...as the holes don't line up...well, I have never worked on flying machines, but I have seen some really bad stuff on the ground!

I am recalling the Comet jets, which had serious problems of metal fatigue and cracks....though to be fair, Comet went on to a long and safe life-time.

bummer Dude!

Attachments

• 1704543728776.png
    1704543728776.png
    308.6 KB · Views: 45
I am recalling the Comet jets, which had serious problems of metal fatigue and cracks....though to be fair, Comet went on to a long and safe life-time.
The Comet suffered from being first jet airliner. When losses occurred - planes breaking up in the air - the subsequent investigations led to the realisation that the corners of square windows were stress multipliers leading to metal fatigue and catastrophic failure. Solution was oval windows. And of course all later jet airliners from Boeing, M-D, et al have oval windows.

Last edited:
Back