Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

Good Stuff!:thumbsup:
12Dec17-DC3.jpg
12Dec17-B-47.jpg

I live on the Concorde fight route. It went over twice a day heading to the US: Approximately 11:00am and 7:25pm. As soon as you heard it you had to look away from the sound to catch a glimpse. In writing this I just realized that in all those years I never saw Concorde pass over returning to Heathrow. Maybe they didn't! If true then far more than 20 were built - So do not believe everything you read.

I live on the Concorde fight route. It went over twice a day heading to the US: Approximately 11:00am and 7:25pm. As soon as you heard it you had to look away from the sound to catch a glimpse. In writing this I just realized that in all those years I never saw Concorde pass over returning to Heathrow. Maybe they didn't! If true then far more than 20 were built - So do not believe everything you read.

About 11.30am on some days I used to hear a muffled bang coming from the south. It ranged from being a soft thump to a solid thud.
Took a while to figure out what it was, as some mornings it didn't happen and sometimes it would be stronger.
Concorde going supersonic over the Atlantic off the south of Ireland, on the business run to NY getting all those important people to meetings early enough.

I have a closer view of Concord than most. Me and a thousand other guys built the fuckin' thing.
Beautiful bird, oh yes. but not practical. That is, flying supersonic don't save much travel time.
Consider the door to door time of taking a flight.
Home to airport to line-ups for this n' that n' bein' groped by Security.
Then sitting parked in the runway lineup for what feels like forever
plus the peritrack sightseeing tour after landing.
The time between take-off and touch-down is just a small part of the journey, eh?

Last edited:
^there are videos of electric airplanes on youtube. They surprised me because I must have not noticed the point where it became possible.

My favorite airline story is in 1960 my uncle flew back to Texas from my grandfather's funeral carrying my grandfather's shotgun he inherited. Just walked right on with it and nobody cared. And we think the past was somehow similar to the present...

I have a closer view of Concord than most. Me and a thousand other guys built the fuckin' thing.
And a fine job y'all did Fred. :D
My one experience with the Concorde... Had to drive over to RAF Filton from Heyford to sort out some issues with an F111 in heavy check. During a break I walked out to the ramp for a smoke. Sitting there was one of the original test birds. I walked out to it to admire it and two old gents walked out to see what I was up to. Turns out one of 'em was one of the original flight engineers on the test program. The short of it is they had a boarding stand drug out and my break turned into a couple hours of me sitting in the cockpit while this gentleman regaled me with tales of the flight testing. Saying I was like a kid in a candy store would be putting it mildly.

And a fine job y'all did Fred. :D
My one experience with the Concorde... Had to drive over to RAF Filton from Heyford to sort out some issues with an F111 in heavy check. During a break I walked out to the ramp for a smoke. Sitting there was one of the original test birds. I walked out to it to admire it and two old gents walked out to see what I was up to. Turns out one of 'em was one of the original flight engineers on the test program. The short of it is they had a boarding stand drug out and my break turned into a couple hours of me sitting in the cockpit while this gentleman regaled me with tales of the flight testing. Saying I was like a kid in a candy store would be putting it mildly.

Did he show you the captain's hat trap?

I turned down a ride on the Concorde to tap a girl from Long Island because she had a cute accent. Beat that, sumbiches.

Back