1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Downeaster, Jan 25, 2019.

1. thuban

thuban Horse Scratcher XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Damn, you old! Do you member what Sky King's daughters name was? :umm: ( damn, I'm old!)
    Thu

MaxPete, Greyandridin and Jim like this.
  2. thuban

Hey, Airplane guys!

3. halfmile

halfmile XS Builder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

kansas
    Her name was Penny (Gloria Winters). She had a dog (Shadow). They lived on the Flying Crown Ranch. Ron Hagerthy was Clipper King. The show came on at 10:30 each Sat morning right after Jet Jackson (Richard Webb), he flew the Silver Dart. That came on right after National Velvet. That show "stunk out loud". A sad follow up to Fury with Peter Graves. That followed Howdy Doody at 8:30. Saturday morning TV.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

4. thuban

Brother, I'm gona help you to a chair. Here, take this cane.... :poke:

MaxPete, Greyandridin, GLJ and 2 others like this.
  5. Gator xs2

Gator xs2 XS650 Addict

FL
    Sky King huh? You guys speaking English? All I remember is Road Runner and Johnny Quest.

MaxPete and Jim like this.
  6. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Peter Graves??? Why do I know that name?? Lead guy in "Mission Impossible? Brother to James Arness of "Gunsmoke".
    Johnny Quest! One of my favorites! Anyone else remember the XL-5 and the show it was on?

Marlin72xs, MaxPete and Jim like this.
  7. thuban

Road Runner and Johnny Quest... Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius! :laugh:

Jim and GLJ like this.
  8. thuban

MC says "that's right for $25 dollars!"

Jim likes this.
  9. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

Can't forget Space Ghost!

Gator xs2 and Jim like this.
  10. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

That brings back memories... I grew up in England. A wee lad of 8-10 yrs... a little village called Boyton, a stones throw from the channel. In the early sixties, we owned the only TV in the village. Every Saturday morning, every kid in the village would show up (bearing gifts :D ) and we'd all gather 'round the telly to watch the newest episode of "Fireball XL-5."

azman857 and GLJ like this.
  11. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

12. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi Hunter,
    ex-BAC here:-
    Don't forget the "whispering death" Beaufighter, eh?
    Note that the Bristol Britannia would have shrunk the world if BOAC had run 'em transatlantic instead of trying to land 'em in Entebbe Uganda.
    Alas that the Concorde was such a fuel hog. Aviation kerosene was 17cents a gallon when we started to cut metal, 17 cents a cup full by first flight.

TwoManyXS1Bs, Jim and azman857 like this.
  13. Greyandridin

Greyandridin Got nothing to do and all day to do it XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Looks like next years road trip
    Thanks

Jim likes this.
  14. Greyandridin

Greyandridin Got nothing to do and all day to do it XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Jim you lucky dog
    I took a ride in one and it was the coolest flight ever
    At the time it was $75/ but worth it
    And then EAA had one here at the local airport and I took my buddy Harv with me (old pilot)
    And you couldn't wipe the smiles off our faces

Jim likes this.
  15. Team Junk

Team Junk XS650 Guru XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Scenic Airlines in Vegas had a Tri Motor. For an extra $10 you could ride in the right seat. Prop right outside the open window. Loudest contraption I've ever had the pleasure to ride in. Tried to get the wife to go again but she wanted to get back to the slots.

azman857, Jim and thuban like this.
  16. azman857

That was back in the late 70's when I was stationed at Nellis AFB.

Jim likes this.
  17. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

Surely you can't be serious?!! :laughing:
    Airplane! ? Mission Impossible (original TV series)? He appeared in about a zillion other TV shows...

Jim likes this.
  18. azman857

AWW C'mon! I mentioned "Mission Impossible". ...lol.

thuban and Jim like this.
  19. Jim

I can... and don't call me Shirley... :rolleyes:

20. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Fireball XL5, Stingray, Supercar, the Thunderbirds......ahhhh, those were that days! Gary and Sylvia Anderson - and all filmed in SUPERMARIONATION!!!!

I also used to love watching the Three Stooges and listening to the Goon Show on the radio.

Jim likes this.