just picked up a 1979 xs650 special

photo_2015031.jpg

Exactly why i sold my 78 bobber. It was okay, but i lacked alot of the tools and fab skills to finish things well. I have a big tool chest to re-build motors and clean up frames and what not so i decided to go the clean em up and enjoy em path instead of having a half finished bike with some terrible fab on it.

i cut up a real clean 78 standard to do that....still shake my head at that one.

Last edited:
So i have been sourcing parts and im looking too use one of these kick pedals

large_361_triumph-brass-aluminum-kicker-pedals-photo-1.jpg

But i'm not sure how too attach it too my kick arm, does anyone make a replacement arm

No replacement arm that Im aware of. However you could likely chop the foot piece off the stock kicker and drill/thread a whole into the shaft and bolt that piece on.

does anyone make a replacement arm

There are prob. arms galore on ebay if that's what you need. If you want to cut the top off your to attach that, take a bolt that's smooth near the top and cut it off and thread it so there's a clearance when tightened down, then use a spring washer so it'll resist flopping around. The kind of spring washer that's not a spring lock washer.

just bought some clubman bars to replace those awful stock ape hangers. The plans are to reverse them to the underside of there normal position.

and a pair of cone filters. the final plan is for triumph trumpet style with brass screens but i think i might have too get them made as i have yet to find any that
A. i like and
B. will fit my carbs

Attachments

• 269415644_tp.jpg
    269415644_tp.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 40
  • !CBNsvW!BGk~$(KGrHqEOKisEzS+k07hSBNGtNDeuDw~~0_12.JPG
    !CBNsvW!BGk~$(KGrHqEOKisEzS+k07hSBNGtNDeuDw~~0_12.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 47
parts keep coming off but no new parts have gone on yet .
waiting on the handle bars from ebay

Attachments

• IMG_0610.jpg
    IMG_0610.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0609.jpg
    IMG_0609.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 74
those foot pegs you want to use as a kick pedal. can they be drilled thru the center? Than you can mount them with a thru bolt like those brass knuckles levelers on ebay. Juust a thought. rawxs

just did some internet shopping wile enjoying my coffee this morning.

i picked up some mini lights 25 $
41-BTtBQscL.jpg

and a side mount license plate holder / light 59 $
detail_419_28xl-tail-light-bracket.jpg

so i'll be looking forward too finally getting some work done on my bike
ill i need now is too get those damn carbs tuned any one know of any tricks?

yes it comes with everything in the picture. i got it all on ebay i saw them for 115 $ plus shipping and i wont pay that.

so hooora thanks too everyones advise i got my carbs tuned good , the only problem i have now is the engine will start revving high up to 3k on its own and then will drop back down after a minute, any ideas ?

I decided to do away with the stock seat today
I followed this link , i found it very informative

http://www.jeffreyphipps.com/seat_pans.htm

So first covered all open areas with cardboard and covered with blue tape , then with aluminum duct tape.
IMG_1003.JPG
IMG_1004.JPG

Don't forget to use car wax it helps remove it when all dry 3-4 coats.

IMG_1008.JPG
IMG_1009.JPG
Use fiberglass mat and fabric overtop.

Then i used the grinder and cut of the back of the seat support just behind the shock towers.and wile i had the grinder out i removed all other unused mounting tabs.

Removed it and let dry overnight too make sure it is cured.
DSC01019.JPG

Then i removed the front and mocked it up on the back.
DSC01022.JPG
DSC01024.JPG
DSC01027.JPG

I fiberglassed the rest tonight and is currently drying.

IMG_1015.JPG

i got my seat all ready for the bondo now.

i did a quick go over with the cut off disk to remove any high spots
then threw on a coat of bondo
IMG_1017.JPG
IMG_1019.JPG

did another sand on the cafe seat today , and one more bondo fill.
i think ill just do it black as that the tank color right now i can always change that later.

IMG_1025.JPGIMG_1023.JPG

Back