just picked up a 79 xs650

bergoff

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well I just picked up this 79 xs650 special it has 18k on it. I only paid $350 for it. The po said that it don't charge the battery. It also came with a new battery still in the box both side covers and the tank is spotless inside. My first 650 was just like this one that my grandpa bought for me on my 16th bday. I'm planning on doing a slight cafe build with it. I can't wait!! It feels great to have another 650 in the garage.

Life has been a little crazy. Finally was able to mess with the bike. I had to running in an hour. Replaced the gas, plugs, and oil. The main fuse was blown replaced that and charged battery that came with it. And it fired right up. Now its time to tear into the charging system.

I'll try to get some pics up I'm having issues resizing them using linux. I'm still in shock that I got it for only $350.

You done good weed toker I uh mean grass hopper. Specially in Sillynois, they are hot for the XS650's there.

Well I pulled the stator cover the negative brush was on 1/4in and the positive was 3/8 guess I will be ordering some new ones. Also the pushrod for the clutch seal looks toast. I hope that's not to bad to replace?

Here are a few pics of my bike before I change anything.

Attachments

• 2011-03-16_14-37-07_902.jpg
    2011-03-16_14-37-07_902.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 2011-03-16_14-37-19_354.jpg
    2011-03-16_14-37-19_354.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 191
Yes, those brushes are to short. New ones just might make it charge.
Mike's has a good how to on changing the pushrod seal and the bushing behind it. You might want to buy two or three of those seals. Most people mess up the first one they try to replace. Usually they don't get the sharp edge beveled enough. If your push rod has much side to side play the bushing is worn. Much more than a noticable amount is too much.
I'm not sure on the 79 about if it has the one or two piece push rod. If it has the two piece rod, replacing it with the one piece wears the seal less.

I'm not sure on the 79 about if it has the one or two piece push rod. If it has the two piece rod, replacing it with the one piece wears the seal less.

I think all years have the two-piece rod and that the one-piece is somebody's later invention.

I haven't been convinced yet about the one-piece rod. It seems like two pieces might let it conform to the seal better, wearing it less.

I will be placing an order the end of next week. Brushes, pushrod seal, oil filter, strainer filter gasket, pod filters, and a set of clubman bars. I also have all of the parts to do the Chrysler regulator and radio shack rectifier mod if I have any issues.

In my Factory repair manuals they don't show a two piece rod until 78. The earlier models had a one piece rod.
In the parts listings at several sites they show the two piece rods started in 74 with the TX650A. I don't think they are right. In the two 75's i've had they both had one piece rods.
I think a one piece rod will stay centered better than the two piece that has a hinge in the middle. The reason they tried the two piece was to try to keep the clutch freeplay from changing as much from cold to hot. The two piece rods are aluminum shafts with steel ends. The aluminum expands closer to the same rate as the cases. Thats the theory anyway. I have ridden bikes with both and can't see any advantage to the clutch free play with the two piece rod.
Does any one know for sure just when they switched to the two piece push rod?

Last edited:
I haven't pulled the rod out yet. It won't fall apart will it. I've also read the how to on mikes it seems straight forward. I wish I had a lift at my house.

In my Factory repair manuals they don't show a two piece rod until 78. The earlier models had a one piece rod.

In that case, I'd say you're right. I read you as thinking later years had 1 piece. Interesting about the rods being steel + aluminum.

I looked at the fiches just now and '74 shows 2 while '73 shows 1.

Back