Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looking Good! When it comes to putzing around riding it's still hard to beat an XS650!

ZACKLEY!!

Yesterday (Sunday) our ride captain Dale, led us on a nice 120 miler around Essex and Kent Counties but with only a few eateries open, the scope for stopping for picies is limited.

However, on my ride back to my dungeon (work always awaits it seems :shootme:), I noted that my dear Lucille :yikes: was about to pass a milestone mileage so I stopped and took a couple of shots. I got her with about 21,140 miles so that’s over 12,000 miles of smiles since July 2016.

Not bad for a rough old gal who’s lived a hard life...and I’m pretty sure there is a barn in there somewhere.

Pete

A6E4993F-A3D9-431B-9295-9680FDDA9587.jpeg
B2543635-8F60-4179-93E1-9330328B6517.jpeg

Barns and scenic waterways in buccolic tobacco country... Morning cruise..fresh air..ahh its the best.. low 80s..This time of year its early a.m. or late afternoon to evening for what i consider prime riding time...97 miles before lunch...Bike is running fine...hasnt missed a beat...It really likes the backraods best...and around here thats all we have..

20200608_091453.jpg
20200608_092639.jpg
20200608_093350.jpg
20200608_093338.jpg
20200608_094454.jpg
20200608_101616.jpg
20200608_101632.jpg
20200608_102057.jpg
20200608_102141.jpg
20200608_111420.jpg
20200608_111452.jpg
20200608_112017.jpg

Last edited:
Barns and scenic waterways in buccolic tobacco country... Morning cruise..fresh air..ahh its the best.. low 80s..This time of year its early a.m. or late afternoon to evening for what i consider prime riding time...97 miles before lunch...Bike is running fine...hasnt missed a beat...It really likes the backraods best...and around here thats all we have..

Ben, it looks like the XS650 is growing on you.

Ben, it looks like the XS650 is growing on you.
It is pretty visceral compared to my ST1100..which is a sewing machine that rides well but leaves you feeling disconnected from the road...The XS650 the road is in your face..the wind the road connection is direct...Just filling it to the proper levels of oil and you can feel how the engine is more willing to rev at 55-60 mph..also just lubing the chain and i notice how much smoother the bike runs...So i am getting used to it..It still is a limited use machine..but then again so am I....somewhat....;)

Last edited:

View attachment 169282 View attachment 169283 View attachment 169284 View attachment 169285 View attachment 169287 View attachment 169288 View attachment 169289 View attachment 169290 View attachment 169291 View attachment 169292 View attachment 169293 View attachment 169294

Nice photos in some very pretty country! I’m happy to see you giving the old girl some love! :)

Nice photos in some very pretty country! I’m happy to see you giving the old girl some love! :)
I'm happy too and so is the bike..I have been meaning to ride these roads for a while. I have pics at these various stops with all my other bikes but not the XS650...Its now close to 90* and its becoming rather humid...welcome to the SaunaEast...Its Siesta time....

It came down to the wire but the beemer won for the trip down to Gary Hoos Shop today. Adapted, fitted the riders backrest last night and ahem had to test it. About 375 miles round trip.
Crossing the Mississippi back into Illinois from Iowa.
20200611_170015.jpg
View from a hill top in North West Illinois.
20200611_173436.jpg
Great day for a bike ride! but had GPS set for adventure route, even though I had checked no gravel roads, spent about 30 miles on gravel, with wind 15 gusting 25 it was kind of "interesting".
R1150RT makes a pretty good road bike. Plenty of power for one up touring, good cornering manners.
Had a nice chat with Gary, purchased some pipes for YWAIN. and um a couple other little goodies for a different project...:cool:

Last edited:
It came down to the wire but the beemer won for the trip down to Gary Hoos Shop today. Adapted, fitted the riders backrest last night and ahem had to test it. About 375 miles round trip.
View attachment 169535
View attachment 169534
Great day for a bike ride! but had GPS set for adventure route, even though I had checked no gravel roads, spent about 30 miles on gravel, with wind 15 gusting 25 it was kind of "interesting".
R1150RT makes a pretty good road bike. Plenty of power for one up touring, good cornering manners.
Had a nice chat with Gary, purchased some pipes for YWAI,. and um a couple other little goodies for a different project...:cool:

Nice! I’ll bet you hardly even felt the miles go by on that Beemer! How’s the legroom?

View attachment 169535
View attachment 169534
Had a nice chat with Gary, purchased some pipes for YWAI,. and um a couple other little goodies for a different project...:cool:
If you havent already been spoiled by a sport tourer...you prolly are now...;)

Nice! I’ll bet you hardly even felt the miles go by on that Beemer! How’s the legroom?
Bob you know how to go for the juggler. It does have the cylinder head highway pegs so there's an alternative knee position.
Solid 8 hours in the saddle, after 3 stops to adjust the backrest it's dialed in.. It has "handlebar back and up" plates but they aren't quite right yet. My inflatable sheepskin pad helps a bunch. the angled floor boards are quite nice. I would prefer a heel shifter. Rowing through 6 gears since I was on a lot of stop signy little lanes, gets tedious, The tranny is kinda between sport bike snick snick and Harleyesk clunking through gears. Takes a bit of work to get the shifting smooth. The famed BMW quiet air pocket is great. My quietride helmet has a slow leak in the pump up ear cushions, GOT to fix that, must of pumped them up 30 times. But most of the day the helmet visor was open part to all the way even with the electric shield below the eye line. Short version it needs some more "fit me" tweaking afore I'd head out for the other side of the country on it. (Trip is a possibility this year)
If you haven't already been spoiled by a sport tourer...you prolly are now...;)
It does have REALLY good road manners Was on some concrete "slab pounder" road. That would have been brutal on many bikes, barely know those edges are there on this. I'm old but narrowed the chicken strips considerably. Wisconsin 78 is a fun road from the Illinois Border all the way to Prairie du Sac. No tail of the dragon but enough hills n sweepers, delightful small towns to keep it interesting. Wish I coulda got a pic,really pretty small town Main street, cars parked both sides, couple Harleys stopped middle of the road chatting with a guy in a Buick Gran Sport convertible, wooded hillside with an old iron water tower, the background. No one minded waiting while they chatted. Brakes are very good. The suspension makes Wisconsin roads seem better than they are. A rail crossing that can REALLY punish me on say the XS650 (I slow way down with the van and car too) was barely noticeable. This chassis really emphasises counter steering cornering, on some bikes it's kinda yeah that's a theory. On this one it's how you ride.

How’s the legroom?

Bob you know how to go for the juggler.

Sorry buddy! I really wasn’t trying to poke at you. :poke:
I had just recalled you saying once, that you had long legs and you thought that BMW’s would cramp your legs. I was just curious if you had changed your mind after your ride yesterday.

Sorry buddy! I really wasn’t trying to poke at you. :poke:
I had just recalled you saying once, that you had long legs and you thought that BMW’s would cramp your legs. I was just curious if you had changed your mind after your ride yesterday.
We're good.
gggGary said:
Bob you know how to go for the juggler.
tent%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F11%2Fjuggle_man_blog_thumb.gif

My quietride helmet has a slow leak in the pump up ear cushions,

I was just thinking about that statement and realized, I’d never heard of that brand of helmet. Is it a fairly new design? It’s been a couple years since I went helmet shopping. I looked it up, it’s a very interesting design.
How do you like it?

I was just thinking about that statement and realized, I’d never heard of that brand of helmet. Is it a fairly new design? It’s been a couple years since I went helmet shopping. I looked it up, it’s a very interesting design.
How do you like it?

I have seen Gary's QuietRide helmet and it is really a clever design. I'd love to get one but I was pretty sure he had said that they were not being made any longer...

Back