just sayin' thanks for the help - atu/timing problems improved

griennehornette

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all.

I haven't posted in a long time. Wuz too busy (until COVID slowed things down a bit). Anyway, I was late getting the bike going this year, and it was a grumpy, back-firing, stalling mess on my first couple of rides.

Long story short, I just fired it up, and it actually idled. In fact, the right cylinder - which has been inconsistent for years - is now the smoother, more consistent cylinder. I don't know why; but I'm happy with that.

I'd like to thank the excellent guys who post so regularly and helpfully on this forum. I simply couldn't ride my bike without you. Here's the post which led to improvement today: http://www.xs650.com/threads/return-atu-advancer-to-correct-range.8636/#post-89163

Would I ever have figured this out? No chance. But the diagnostic skills of people like Grizld1, 5twins and retiredgentleman (in this case... there's a number of other people on this forum who also deserve a lot of credit) zeroed in on something I barely even understand. Oh, and CDNTX650, who suggested JB weld as an alternative to peening. I started peening the tangs, and figured it was only a matter of time before I broke one of them. Went the JB weld route, and it seems to have worked. I suppose it might wear down quicker, and leave me with advanced timing again; but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

So thank you gentlemen. You're a fine bunch of learned scoundrels ;-)

griennehornette
77D

Back