Kawasaki 750 Twin

QTreiber

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

While searching tirelessly for a XS650 Standard not too far from home I came across a few ads for Kawasaki KZ750 Twins, offered for very little money.

I read a few positive as well as negative reviews about them and was wondering how the XS650 community views these bikes in terms of quality, reliability, performance, part availability, etc.

Styling to me is much less "noble" than that of the XS, but I was wondering about the other aspects of these bikes.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Greetings from sunny Colorado,
Armin

search the internet for sites simular to this one.
itsa just another two wheels, motorized contraption like anyother machine.
see if there is strong support for the kaw. put up some pics. if it runs, and rides, might not be a bad idea any ways. if its in baskets, and no parts to be found, i wouldnt, but thats me.

If you are modding you will much more "on your own" with a KZ750. No MikesXS, 20 different ebay venders selling gaskets, seals, electrics, or the many other modders making custom parts to "fit" your machine. I had a KZ750 this summer for a few days, stole the rear wheel, brakes and swing arm off of it and resold it for the $100.00 I paid for it. Was rather happy to see it go but I am very biased towards the XS650. +1 one on do a search I doubt there were 1/10 the number of KZ750s made compared to XS650s.

Well that's the "theory" anyway. The KZ750 has a spoke wheel, disk brake rear set up. It appears to be a possible if not simple meld to an XS650. Steel rim and rather unusual spoke pattern. The KZ sprocket sits about 1/2" further out from the center line than the XS sprocket. Axle diameter is the same. The KZ swingarm is 1" wider between the axle plates.

I once used a gpz 550 rear wheel with a disc. same deal sprocket spacing wise. I used an offset front sprocket. That's been 4 or 5 yrs ago. I dont remember what year the wheel was off of...early 80's. Was a neat setup when done! From what I remember, I just had to do different axle spacers.

Back