KD Shocks Question

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up these KD shocks on Ebay about 5yrs ago still in the box for a stupid low price. Like 20 bucks shipped if memory serves... Planning on puttin' em on the SG.

Here's the question... Anyone ever use them? They any good?

Sorry, forgot to add the pics....

MVIMG_20180228_153450.jpg

MVIMG_20180228_153504.jpg

I've never heard of that brand but they look suspiciously like the cheapo dual spring shocks Mike's sells. Those are reported to be stiff as a board. I guess all you can do is try them. The problem with most cheap shocks besides overly stiff springs seems to be little or no dampening action.

I think I got the black version of 'em. Bought them almost exactly three years ago through a German website for 105 Euro's.
"shock absorber set 325mm `74-`84 105,00 €"
They came with a rubber spacer set. What can I say, it's like 5twins said...they pretty stiff. But they don't squeak or rattle. No problem's in cornering, maybe because they're so stiff.
When I count the coils, yours seem to look shorter though or your spring is more progressive(?)
20180301_012553.jpg 20180301_012607.jpg

Last edited:
...they pretty stiff. But they don't squeak or rattle. No problem's in cornering, maybe because they're so stiff.
Yup... that looks like em. Thanks for the input. Does it seem to you like the dampening action works ok?

Hope they work OK Jim. Like the looks, nice and shiny, lots of bling!

Ouch. Jim, if you don't want shocks to do much more than keeping the fender off the tire, those will probably be fine. But springs that are too stiff and damping that's either too much or too little will cause more problems than discomfort, like poor hookup in bumpy corners bouncing you off the line. Those things also look pretty short for good handling; steering with stock 12-3/4" shocks is already pretty slow. When it comes to shocks, you pretty much get what you pay for.

When it comes to shocks, you pretty much get what you pay for.
Yeah... that's pretty much a universal truth ain't it... I'm gonna put em on for now 'cause my choice is them or the wore out originals. Buying more ain't an option right now cause' I've pretty much blew through most of my budget and I still gotta buy an exhaust system. The stuff that's real easy to change out (like these here shocks) will have to wait.

Jim, something you can check, if you're game.

Assuming you can remove the springs.

In the old shop daze (early '70s), we used to function check shocks. Pop off the springs, mount the shock bottom to something solid (like something you could stand on), slide a rod thru the top eye, and test compression and rebound damping. Like weight lifting.

On good OEM street shocks, would get very little compression damping, but a lot of (*grunt*) rebound damping. Kinda like 10/90 shocks. If the rebound damping was weak, would suggest replacement.

I wouldn't do this test on gas-charged shocks.

Haven't heard of this test mentioned anywhere in this forum. Has anybody else done this kinda test?

Jim, something you can check, if you're game.
I thought about puttin' one in the press and taking it apart to check it, but decided just to use them and see what they're like. They'll work OK 'till I can afford some better ones. When I started this thread, I was hoping (against hope) someone would come up and say how great they were. Wishful thinkin'....

I was able to pull my originals apart using the suspension compression tools used on cars:
Suspension.jpg
There are collets at the top just like those on the engine valves. Once apart I was able to clean the springs and paint the insides black. On Youtube you will see examples of people using straps for securing loads on trailors for compressing the springs. Could be a quick visual fix until you can get something better.

I’m pretty sure that we have a rig for testing bike shocks at the university (at least I know one was approved several years back). 2M is correct about the “informal” test procedure though.

Given the effort required to test them - even informally, I think I’d just stick ‘em on and give a try.

I thought about puttin' one in the press and taking it apart to check it, but decided just to use them and see what they're like. They'll work OK 'till I can afford some better ones. When I started this thread, I was hoping (against hope) someone would come up and say how great they were. Wishful thinkin'....

Well, it's not Koni or Hagon quality of course. They're on the bike for three years now and I find them decent enough that I did not have the urge to change them.. They work, they were reasonably prised. I never noticed them in a bad or good way while riding, they're just there...being shocks :) More important: Not being unstable or dangerous in corners or on bad asphalt roads. Just put them on and try them.

And????
Just started researching shocks for the XS1 think it's got mikes shocks on it and they are shi not so good.
Went and looked at the icon and hagon sites, about zero info re spring weight length etc, rather depressing.

Back