Keep it stock or not.....

Well got it home and it looks really good. One major problem though and it is major. Could not get the title. I'm not sure i want to put alot of work into it with no title. I was hoping the owner would find it but he couldn't.

Now I'm wondering if I should look for a titled frame or get this running and use it for parts. It was stored inside in a warm basement so time has been kind to it. Has a KG backrest luggage rack and really has stood the test of time. I will have to clean the carbs, oil change and then see if she fires. All electrical works and she kick over fine.

I have so many projects going on right now (3 others) that I'm not sure what to do with this one. Really a shame there is no title.

Still i would do as jayel suggests, get it running and sort out any problems and then you know what you have as for good parts for swapping later to a titled frame

Still i would do as jayel suggests, get it running and sort out any problems and then you know what you have as for good parts for swapping later to a titled frame

I think a good night or two in the garage will at least tell me where I stand. I can do a compression test and see if I can get the ol girl running. A good carb rebuild can do wonders! :thumbsup:

check with your DMV about lost title replacement before you give up to easily, if it was in his name it's not to hard at all, better than trying to chase down a PO that lost it

If the bike was registered in the previous owners name, he should be able to submit for lost title. May cost a few extra bucks, but still cheaper than using a title service. If you do use a title service, have a friend in law enforcement run the vin first to make sure it isn't stolen. If it is stolen, you will be the one to be prosecuted.

Last edited:
Yeah the title shouldn't be that hard as long as the guy you bought it from had a title. He can just sign a title request form for you. I did that my old truck whenever I gave it to my sister. I had accidentally tossed the title with junk mail. :headbang: In short it's not really all that difficult.

Brian I'm all about someone doing EXACTLY what they want to do to their bike. If you want to chop it... Do it. If you want to do a 100point restore... Do it. If you want to rat it out... Do it. Brat build. Well you get the point, but as a few others said. Get it going and running and figure out the probs with it up front to at least give you an idea what you're going to be dealing with before you chop it up or do whatever to it.

Yeah the title shouldn't be that hard as long as the guy you bought it from had a title. He can just sign a title request form for you. I did that my old truck whenever I gave it to my sister. I had accidentally tossed the title with junk mail. :headbang: In short it's not really all that difficult.

Brian I'm all about someone doing EXACTLY what they want to do to their bike. If you want to chop it... Do it. If you want to do a 100point restore... Do it. If you want to rat it out... Do it. Brat build. Well you get the point, but as a few others said. Get it going and running and figure out the probs with it up front to at least give you an idea what you're going to be dealing with before you chop it up or do whatever to it.

I've never done anything but a full restore so I may end up heading that way again. I was just wiping the bike down a little last night and it looks like time has stood still on this bike for 20 years, it's in great shape. Evey idea I have in my mind for a project would just ruin some really nice parts.

Danno, on the title I will definitely make sure everything is legit as I do not want to end up in trouble over someone else givng me misinformation. Worst case scenario is I have a beautiful parts bike which I'm sure I can get my money back on parting out. It's all good as I'm a motorcycle junkie to just being able to work on bikes and parts in any condition is heaven! :thumbsup:

Back