Thanks for your assistance

Dozuki

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have recently been trying to decide if I should sell my old bike. 1975 xs650. First it was yes and then I decided to keep it and try to work on it again. I have decided that as much as it pains me it is time to let it go. Thank everyone for your thoughts and ideas in regards to this motorcycle. I am sorry for any confusion I may have caused. I put it back on the sale page for what is thinking is a reasonable price $3500 OBO. I will part with the bike but keep the memories.

Last edited:
That can happen after a standstill

When I got it home it was pouring gas out

The floats and the floatvalves can take some time to settle .. tap the floats on the outside with something like screwdriver handle och wooden piece

Rubber hose one can buy at the gas station here.
A filter can be a good idea.

may have to try a parts store for a battery unless i want to wait a good week for delivery. Once i get it back on its tires, and some gas in it i will give that a try. I can’t believe how hard that rubber got. thanks for the tips.

have to try a parts store for a battery unless i want to wait a good week for delivery
I you go to NAPA, they're usually competent in my experience. Just tell them you have a 1975 XS650B and let them handle it from there. Last time I bought one, it wasn't in stock. They had it the very next day.

Didn’t think of wallmart. And there is one just down the road. Thanks. I will have to go measure the one in there now b
Go to the Walmart Auto Service department and just give them your bike model. They will quickly find the proper battery.
This battery also fits all the other XS650's and a multitude of other bikes.

Looked at the fuel line that goes from the petcock to the carb and it just snapped
Old fuel line could be your "float problem". Old n brittle it starts shedding little slivers from the inside, they stick on the float valve seat, cause it to leak badly.
Been burned too many times, (twice?) I replace any aged or hardened fuel lines. Tygon my goto, lawnmower retailers stock it.

Last edited:
For future reference... a place like yamahapartshouse.com... one that has the parts fiches, it'll list the battery by size and form factor. Like Gary says, a YB14L-A2

1676264178722.png

1676264066134.png

So i went and looked through my pile of parts and found what I think are the original carbs and rebuild kits. It can’t hurt to take a look at them and see if they can be saved. I also found the original petcock for the bike.

Does anyone know if there is a rebuild kit for the petcocks. The battery is on the way and I think i found a section of fuel tubing that I already had. So I am taking that as a good sign.

I am also looking for suggestions of what to do with the origianl engine that was in the bike. I know it is nice to have the matching numbers engine. But I just dont have the space for it or the ability to fix it. I was informed that the crankshaft gear was bad.

Does anyone know if there is a rebuild kit for the petcocks.

I am also looking for suggestions of what to do with the origianl engine that was in the bike. I know it is nice to have the matching numbers engine. But I just dont have the space for it or the ability to fix it. I was informed that the crankshaft gear was bad.
One source for the correct petcock rebuild kit:
https://yamahaxs650.com/product/petcock-rebuild-kit-3-screw/

Hmm..on the engine; are you in SD now, or not yet?

I'm south of the South ATM (so I'm likely not in the game). Maybe someone here is local enough to pick-up (if we knew generally where):shrug:

Back