Keep the high pipes or machine guns pointed back?

Keep the high pipes, or chop them down?

• Total voters

Sharky

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello XS fans, I have built this bike twice, third time is a charm, right? I've stretched the swingarm 3in and raked the neck 8 degrees. I found a beauty of a BSA goldstar tank that looks perfect to me, but I cant seem do decide on whether or not to chop the pipes down. I'm asking for your help. Part of me says clean it up and relocate the shock mounts forward to the frame, thus, losing the upper mounts holding the anti aircraft guns in place. I can cut off the tops and use them as straight pipe machine guns out the back. The other part says leave em and ride proud knowing I built something unique! What do you think? I will tally the votes for and against and take action accordingly. Thank you. Sharky

Attachments

• 1114160537.jpg
    1114160537.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 1114160538.jpg
    1114160538.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 1031162243.jpg
    1031162243.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 1031162243a.jpg
    1031162243a.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 161
Welcome to the forum, Sharky.

When I bought my panhead, it had skyscraper fishtails. Insanely different, real attention getters. I was 19 years old at the time.

The novelty wore off after a week, to the point of embarrassment. Just a short lived phase, I guess. Being a 'function over form' type, realized that I wasn't into outrageous 'flash' and 'bling', just not my style.

These are always inner/personal kinda things. I don't know where you are in life, but if you find yourself seeking the approval of others thru appearance sake, consider it temporary until you find yourself.

...Part of me says clean it up ...

...The other part says leave em ...

Sounds like you're in transition, crossing over...

I agree with Mr TMXS1B that this needs to be a personal choice.
Those that are shown look too big and heavy to me and I don't like the way the make an X with the shocks.
That said, just 'cos I don't like the look counts for nowt.
If they float your boat then go ahead and rollocks to Max M et al! :gun:

Well I'll admit when I built the pipes, it was flash I was looking for. I typically follow the rule "Form must follow function", I made them while working at a steel fab shop where we had a Pines machine and various scrap tube everywhere. It was an opportunity to "go big or go home" That was maybe ten years ago now and as much as I hate to admit it, perhaps I have matured since then and my style needs to follow suit. I thought maybe the retro guys would say keep them but so far it's been CHOP CHOP CHOP!

Hi Sharky,
OK, they look fantastic but HTF you get off that thing without the skypipes setting your leg on fire, eh?
What I'd do is shorten the lower run so the slanty bit was way closer to the frame slanty tube then put a new bend in the slanty bit so it ran parallel to the ground
at a height where the existing support bracket could grab it. Then I'd saw them a tad shorter, so the "machine gun" holes started at about where the tail light is.
And much as it gripes me to agree with a bloody Welshman, it's up to you what you do, mate.

Ya I thought about what a Z style would look like, but shortening the middle to match the frame line brings the hot metal right next to my Asscot! I came to the conclusion that the likelihood of me burning myself was greater that way than just leaving em. If I am to be brutally honest, I want to enter this build in a Fathers day show at The Montgomery Distillery, so I'm torn between mass appeal, personal preference and originality. Thank you for your input it helps me focus and balance my decision.

Good luck with your decision. I wouldn't sweat it. Many of us come from the "If it feels good, do it" generation. Gotta do what you feel is right.

Massive numbers of custom XS650 pics out there for inspiration.

Some locals here run tall diesel stacks.
DieselStacks.jpg

My neighbor has some exotic birds. And, there's no shortage of buzzards circling my place. Sometimes I'll stick a few feathers in my hat,
Feathers.jpg

And call it macaroni...

Hi Sharky,
keep your Asscot cool with an overshield each side.
A half-circle section full of holes to maintain the machine gun motif.
Paint it matte black to contrast the chrome exhaust pipe that'll be visible through the holes.

That actually sounds pretty cool! I need to dig around in my scrap pile and see what I have left for bends and angle tubing. I think I can mock it up this weekend and have some pics next week. Thanks Fred

So this is what I came up with last night, made some turndowns and found the placement of the new shock mounts. I'll keep posting pics as progress dictates.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 117
So this is what I came up with last night, made some turndowns and found the placement of the new shock mounts. I'll keep posting pics as progress dictates.
Hi Sharky,
well, the new pipe layout sure takes the bike's look from way out there to humdrum.
And the extreme shock rake angle will really soften the rear suspension.
But if that's what you want, fair enough.

The angle wont be so extreme once I clear out the old mounts and place the new triangle shaped mounts, but I'm with you on Humdrum. I want the bike to look clean, so step away from erroneous and into mundane? :( I haven't welded them on.

The angle wont be so extreme once I clear out the old mounts and place the new triangle shaped mounts, but I'm with you on Humdrum. I want the bike to look clean, so step away from erroneous and into mundane? :( I haven't welded them on.

Hi Sharky,
it weren't erroneous before, it was distinctive, and that's a good thing if you want the bike to be noticed.
I'd say don't clear out the upper stock mounts, leave them right where they are.
For humdrum-avoidance you could run your pipes in an S-bend with the risers bent back parallel with the shocks
and the machine gun ends pointing straight back, attached to the existing bracketry.

The S bend is still on the table, I'll need to talk to my old buddies at my last job to get them bent, I don't have the right angles to make them at home. The shock mount still looks wrong poking out the end of the seat, by replacing them I lower the bike slightly and make room for a seat hoop to finish the seat off. What I do like about simple pipes is the way the bike narrows, the widest point is at the rear shocks,long and thin looks good!

Back