keihin PE 28 is it rite?

javafinger

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hi im just bought a keihin PE28 for my 72 XS but now my bike cannot run as a 'xs' :banghead: (everytime i pull a gass its like the xs xs wont run) ,but if i ride it slowly its okay.. is it the carb not fit to this machine? or it just the setting? is anyone here heva some experience with these carbs? thanx a lot

no idea of what is available in Indonesia, look for something of at least 32mm, 34mm would be better, 38mm was stock

Jayel, that OEM 38 mm. is not equivalent to an aftermarket carburetor with open venturi, due to the obstruction created by the throttle plate. On a stock XS650 good results with unobstructed carbs will be obtained with diameters from 32 mm. to at most 36 mm. As far as I know the only streetable 125's with 28 mm. carbs are 2-strokes, which typically require larger carbs than 4-strokes of equivalent displacement.

Like VM series and cable-top TM series from Mikuni and the PE and PWK series from Keihin, the PJ is a "universal" carburetor. Translation: it works well on 2-strokes and is usable on 4-strokes. As far as tuning goes you'd be very much on your own with the PJ34's. If the carburetors aren't Japanese Keihins you're likely to encounter quality issues as well. The round slide VM34's perform about as well as "universal" flat slides, and there's plenty of information available on setup and tuning for the XS650. For links, refer to the tech reference area here.

Back