Key number?

djayp21

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
So I have an '83 XS650 Heritage Special that's had a few problems over the year I've had it. The most recent being that my only key flew out of the ignition while riding the other day. I've looked at many other forums and know what my options are. The problem is, where is the key number? I've only read vague descriptions for older bikes and no one has provided a picture for a reference that I've seen. My buddy and I took the ignition apart and on the bottom plate there is a letter followed by a five digit number then a space and three digit number. Is one of these it or something totally different? Please help!

Your best bet would be to take the switch to a Yamaha shop (a big one if possible). They can probably tell you if those are the key numbers or which ones in the string are the numbers. My '78 only has a 4 digit # on the key and the locks. With that number I was able to get a spare key at the Yamaha shop. They cut the blank right there for me. Cost about $8 if I remember correctly.

Back