Kick start mod

AdzL

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Afternoon fellas, need some help on modding my kickstart or buying one that will work. Just bought my custom xs650 and having a right f*****g nightmare starting to wish I didn't buy the thing. Loads of niggly problems to sort on it. The right exhaust runs under the kickstart and catches on the exhaust clip when kicking over a few mil bigger and it would be sound. Is there a place I can buy a modded kickstart from to solve the issue or a different style that will clear it. I did buy a rd400e kick start thinking this might solve it but the knuckle in the bend hits the exhaust. Any help would be much appreciated

Afternoon fellas, need some help on modding my kickstart or buying one that will work. Just bought my custom xs650 and having a right f*****g nightmare starting to wish I didn't buy the thing. Loads of niggly problems to sort on it. The right exhaust runs under the kickstart and catches on the exhaust clip when kicking over a few mil bigger and it would be sound. Is there a place I can buy a modded kickstart from to solve the issue or a different style that will clear it. I did buy a rd400e kick start thinking this might solve it but the knuckle in the bend hits the exhaust. Any help would be much appreciated
Look at this thread and see if it helps you any.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/kick-starter.55437/

Hi AdzL and welcome,
Yeah, the "dreaded PO" customized your recently acquired XS650 into all manner of problems then dumped it , eh?
Try posting some photos so we can see what you are up against. Most likely "we have seen worse."

Yea looked the part and was told everything was spot on by the guy. Sounded genuine enough on the phone like but its turned up with leaking fork seals, Carbs need setting up, handle bars were wobbly, speedo doesnt work, the kick start issue and God no's what else. Not even had chance to get out on it for a good ride on it yet due to the forks pissing out fluid. Cant get in till the 1st july. Just hoping ita not going to come back with more underlying issues.Not owned a bike for a good 10 year and was looking forward to it. I'll get some pics next time up the garage

Had the same problem. Had a friend with a torch heat and bend it.

I might just do that for that now if I can find someone to do it. Guessing most of you guys are american or Canadian I'm in the uk and nothing second hand wise over here, loads of second hand stuff over the water but its money to get it shipped over, not cheap at all. Nearly the price of the part its self

A guy I know bent a stock one using a blow torch and it worked for a while, then it stared to bend from kicking it, must have affected the temper of the steel, that was on a big bore SR500 though, they can be a bit of bear to kick over, might be not be a problem on the XS, some of the chrome came off where it was bent too, so if looks are important you might need to get it re-chromed.

Found a website called 2percenter that sell sr400 parts on that link. Got some cool pedal kickers on there so gona purchase oe of them shouldn't take to long to get here

the Japanese are crazy about modding SRs so there are heaps of after market parts, they can be hard to find cause some websites are only in Japanese, but as there’s some parts interchangeability with XSs it can be worth a look, I only got on to it because I have an SR500,.

Yes, welcome. It is frustrating that you feel like the seller was not genuine with you. Just take a breath definitely post some pics and use this forum.
They will get you going. Honestly I'm reading through this site more than any other social media because of the personality and etiquette of the members. . Excellent run and group. I bet if the group got together everyone would get along. I'm looking forward to when you say, good thing I have an xs650.

Been a nightmare to be honest mate haven't even been able to get out properly yet due to the issues and not having the knowledge or tools yet to be able to sort it out. Hopefully be on the road in a day or two once my friend who's into racing has a bit of time to help me out. The more I look the more I find needs sorting, guess that's the problem when buying custom bikes ‍♂️. I will get some photos, it's a a shame really cos it's a lovely looking bike

Back