Kick Start Only Headache !!!!!

mhanks71

80 Chopped XS
Reaction score
I'm running kick only and it takes 20-30 tries before it starts !! What the hell ? Is this common for kick only ? Its a 1980 with a Pamco and stock Coil . Carbs rebuilt but needs tweeking. Timing is really close. When it warms up it starts 1st or 2nd kick. Any idea's ? Hotter Coil ? Dial my carbs in better ? Plz help, my leg is killing me ! :yikes:

Are you using the prime position on the petcock I switch my petcock to prime put on my helmet and gloves then give r the old college try and off she goes.

mine starts first kick hot or cold (choke on) with stock points and coils, since your starts ok after it's warm either your pilots are to lean or your choke circuit isn't working right, and yes sync the carbs and timing

Dial in and sync yer carbs...get yer timing right on before you go throwing money into it.
Mine starts cold, first kick with the choke on, throttle open. No choke once she's been running and warmed up.

Yes, it sounds like your choke jet is plugged which means the choke isn't working. If everything's right, these are very easy starters, a couple kicks at most usually. Mine sat all winter with gas in the carbs and started 1st kick this spring.

If you aren't a big guy, try this experiment. When it's cold, put the side stand down, squeeze the brake and jump down on it with your whole weight. When the oil is cold it doesn't turn fast as easily. In winter I can't start at all no way with a kick with 20w-50. I'm 6' and 150 lbs. Lots of leverage but no mass :)

Most likely on one of the carb overhauls someone left out the choke rod detent ball and spring. An 1/8" ball bearing available at any bicycle shop will work for the ball . The spring you might have to wing. It is considerably stiffer than a ball point pen spring.

That sucks ! Does anyone sell these ? I had someone hold the choke open and it fired on the second kick. Gotta be that. Where in the carb does this go ?

As a trial I wound a spring out of stainless steel safety wire and it works fine. I wrapped it around a very small allen wrench and just clipped it to the right length I conveniently had a correct spring to compare it to. Mhanks- I will ship you a ball and the spring, what's your address?

Well dumb me I did not measure it. I asked the guy who sold them to me what size they were. He matched one I brought in. The ones I got work.

Ball measured .1235" or 3.13mm that's mighty close to 1/8 or .125

OEM Spring OD 2.98mm or .113"
Length 8.00mm or .313"

Last edited:
I agree with carb settings. My 150 dollar middle of nowhere find starts 1st kick everytime after a carb cleaning and ghetto sync.

Well one carb was pretty far off and it was idiling very high. I just turned the sync screw until they were close. No gauge but works good enough for now.

Gary, how do you go about installing the ball and spring? I just took one apart and am now wondering how I'm going to get it back in there, lol.

Back