Kick start shaft Bendix spring

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
20190126_180840.jpg

Reading through the electric starter #4 gear threads and how squeezing the clip will fix it, I searched for the same sort of info about the kick starter itself, as it has the same sort of a spring clip as well. In addition, I have been frustrated by a motor that I have the head and barrels off, which would intermittently just stop rotating. I may have started a thread or two about this same motor from 3 or 4 years ago (not the 90 degree thread) which I have only today diagnosed.
What I found was that when rotated by hand, once in a while rotation would stop.
Turns out the kick start gear was moving into system and jamming it. I am wondering if this is the effect of the spring clip not being tight enough.
I checked a few I had on hand and only one had any tension in it at all, the other three just slid around the shaft.
Question. When the motor is in actual operation does this weak spring matter at all?
I am guessing no as I have not seen this discussed before.
Have I come up with a new question about these machines?

Attachments

• 20190126_155547.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 170
Looks like INXS has set out the particulars about this in 2010.
Spring clip does not lend itself to retensioning, unlike the electric starter clip, the latter being significantly bigger.
All set out in the Tech section.

Back