Kicked it with Compression release mounted backwards!

SteelToeJoe

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so I have an earlier engine, one with a compression release thingy on the left exhaust valve cover. ('73 TX650) I finally got some new filters and some oil in my engine the other night so I kicked it over for the first time. (Just once, wasn't tryin to start it, just a kick for the hell of it.) Then I desided I was gona check my valve clearance.

Well, when I got the last nut off of that valve cover with the compression release, it kinda poped of like something was pushing on it. PO had the valve cover on backwards. So the rocker arm had hit the valve cover and took a small chunk of metal out of it. (the cover) The rocker itself looks fine. I found two small metal shavings and got them the hell out of there, then I drank a couple or three beers and whinged about it for about an hour. :banghead:

I'm wondering if I'm alright or if I've got a big problem now.

I checked the valve clearances and they were all way too close, except for that one exhast valve in question. It was way to big, something like 0.023. Probably had something to do with it takin that chunk out the valve cover. I set all the valve clearances to spec.

So.......I guess I'm just gona go on with it now? Thoughts...Opinions...Just take it easy on me, I know that was stupid.

kicking over an unknown engine without checking chain and valves.......well, now you know not to do that.
your prolly fine. check the cam chain, then the valves, themn compression with the throttle wide open , and tell us the numbers.

Back