Kicker won't return to normal position after kicking

cmills83

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
It'll probably be obvious once I get the clutch cover back off but I changed my clutch cover gasket yesterday and now after kicking the bike over the kicker just stays down at the bottom. I can lift it back into position and I hear a click sound and am able to kick it over again.

I only kicked a couple times, is it ok to start the bike like this and just lift the kicker back into the starting position each time? I only ask because I have a good place to work on this next week and would just ride as is for now.

It'll probably be obvious once I get the clutch cover back off but I changed my clutch cover gasket yesterday and now after kicking the bike over the kicker just stays down at the bottom. I can lift it back into position and I hear a click sound and am able to kick it over again.
I only kicked a couple times, is it ok to start the bike like this and just lift the kicker back into the starting position each time? I only ask because I have a good place to work on this next week and would just ride as is for now.

Hi cmills83,
well of course you're gonna fix it soon, eh? But until you do, here's what us old Britbike riders do in that situation:-
Hold the KS lever in it's proper return position with a bunjie cord.

I gave it a shot, it started fine but got some gear grinding when trying to pull it back up so stopped.

Thanks for the link, that is the process I followed but for some reason the spring just comes off on first kick. I ordered a new assembly off ebay and will get back to this next weekend.

I was originally going off a youtube video and hooking the spring from the right, when that thread shows it being hooked from the left, hopefully that's my issue and I'll give it another try tomorrow. Thanks again

Back