Kickstand question for kick-start guys

miketweedie

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I figured I'd post this as a separate thread, rather than in my build, as others may find it helpful.

I am wondering what kickstand people are using for kick-start applications, most notably (but not exclusively) on a hard-tailed frame. The TC Bros unit looks good, but it says right on the site "not for kick-start" and they've confirmed that to me in an email.

Anyone have any luck/experience with this? My bike won't be kick-only, but the last thing I need is the stand failing while tryin to kick it over!

You honestly dont need a kickstand to kick start an XS-650.

Its all in the technique, slow steady kick through...one you get the feel for it its really quite natural.

Most of those folks that you see in videos with their knee on the seat, lunging down on the kickstarter are doing that for dramatic, hipster-coolness effect.

I do have the TC Bros kick stand and the weld-on boss is as substantial as any aftermarket or OEM stand I've seen, but I don't normally use the kicker either....
20220910_154416 (3).jpg

Why use the sidestand when kickstarting? I have always kickstarted the XS, RD, XT with neither side or center stand in use. The side stand/ kickstand is there for supporting a parked bike. Not for supporting it while kickstarting, and definitely not while sitting on the bike. No matter how "cool" it may look....

Simply straddle the bike, have your left foot firmly planted and squeeze the front brake lever while kicking. I usually have my bike slightly leaned to the left, very slight though.

Back