Kickstart and starting Problems

Gmorrone1214

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys I been searching this forum in search on a answer. My 1979 xs650 is being a tad rough to me in the kickstart department. I just cleaned the carbs and replaced a few parts and resynched the butterfly valves. It idles great, rev sticking but just found out advance springs are shot. Also have pod filters and straight back exhaust..idk if it matters also stock carb parts. anyway...

Sometimes when kickstarting it tends to kickbac. I adjusted the timing and it is spot on, used a timing light. Also check the advance timing and also good. Sometimes the bike likes to start of 1-2 kick, other times it takes like 20 times lol. Not sure what the problem could be of the kick back and also not starting up.

I also checked for air leaks on the manifold boots and got nothing, used carb and starter fluid both no change in the rpm.

Valve clearance adjusted?
If not, perform, then what about a compression test?
If the points/ign. plate is running out of adjustment, the cam chain could be stretched almost beyond running limits.
Maybe a leakdown test to find a sticky valve:shrug:?

compression is good both sides above 120+.
Did not do a valve clearance - this would cause this problem?
I guess I should also do the leakdown test that wouldnt hurt.

If too tight, the rocker keeps the valve open enough for carbon to deposit on the seat, enough deposits creates the potential for a leak. I believe this is why the rocker adjuster contact point hits the valve tip on a biased angle, to promote valve rotation. But yeah, adj. the valves, then leakdown. Good luck!

If your carbs are all stock and you are running pod filters and straight open pipes then your carbs are the issue. The freer flowing intake and exhaust let more air flow through the engine but the stock carbs don't add enough fuel to the mix.
Get the carbs tuned right and it will be easier to start.
Have you read www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf it has a section on "Tuning For Mods".
Leo

Kick back is usually a sign that the timing is off. You say you checked it with a timing light but did you clip that light on both plug wires and check the timing on both cylinders? If not then the timing could well be correct on one cylinder but still off on the other.

Alright just an update, kickstart problem is gone no more kick back nice and smooth did the rocker arm (valves) adjustment and thats what helped the most.

So i just installed the PAMCO and wired it up. Yesterday it was ideling perfectly. Today I started it to run it, and the idle is going wacky. It just goes up prob at 3-4k rpms and stays there and I have to shut the bike off. Sometimes when I kick it smoke comes out the intake, carbs. I just had it started and backed the idle screw all the way out and the bike still did not die. Not too sure what this could be

I also have the E advance on the bike, and lubed serviced the advance rod with molly grease.

I also synched the butterfly valves

Back