Kickstart lever stuck

skyhawk04kilo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My kickstart lever is stuck on the splined shaft. I removed the bolt that clamps it down but it still refuses to come off. There is a little bit of play between the shaft and the lever and when I put pressure on the lever I can see the lever is moving slightly in relation to the shaft, so I'm kind of at a loss as to why it won't come off. Is there something else I'm missing? I figured it was just that one clamping bolt like the brake and shifter levers. Any ideas?

It should slide off the splines once you remove the bolt locking it into place. It doesn't happen so easily if the kickstarter lever and splines are rusted together, or if there is something blocking it. I would try liking the bike over, or spraying it with PB-blaster and wiggling it back and forth to convince it to come off.

Sometimes parts on 30 year old machines just don't come apart too easily....for some reason :wink2:

Posted via Mobile

When you spoke of the 'play' when you applied force, was this a rotational or a lateral movement? Could you pull it in and out so to speak (even just slightly) or was it a forward and aft rotation on the splines?

Hopefully the former of these two..... lol.

The play was all around. The shaft wasn't moving at all, but the lever was moving on the shaft. It just wasn't coming off. :banghead: I sprayed it down with WD40 and tried to get some into the splined area to hopefully loosen it up a little by tomorrow.

Get a cats paw or big flat blade screw driver(s) and pry it off. When you get it off the splines, clean them up and put a little anti-seize on the splines before you put the kick lever back on.

i usually use a flat screwdriver in the slit to spread the splines apart a bit. usually works. the metal sometimes takes a set and stays clamped.

^ that's what I do to with a big screwdiver.. then grab the bottom of the kickstart lever with one hand and pull straight out while wiggling the top of the lever back and forth (toward the bike and away from the bike) with the other hand. Works every time.

Wow, I'm at a loss here. I tried the screwdriver in the slot trick, all that did was eat up some of the metal next to the slot. I tried Liquid Wrench, I tried beating on it with a rubber mallet, I tried a huge crowbar between the lever and the right side case but it didn't budge even a little. I guess I'll just douse the whole thing in liquid wrench and let it sit overnight and try again tomorrow. What a PITA!

Make sure the previous owner didn't install some type of set screw. Use the liquid wrench and a torch. Get it hot and squirt some liquid wrench on it to quench it. Do this a few times. Should loosen it up.

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. The screwdriver in the slot trick was what finally got it loose. It took some serious pounding with a rubber mallet on the end of the screwdriver but it finally came off. Thanks a bunch! :thumbsup:

Back