Kickstarter Mush

NoRane

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I've been working on my bike for days.. thought I was finally finished, started riding it around, decided to give the kickstarter a try mid trip after a 7/11 stop and I got mush instead of startup...

The electric starter still works..

what the heck?

oh, It might be relevent that I just flopped my bars. The clutch seems more "tough" than usual. Personally, I wouldn't think this would matter.. but I'm no expert.
Thanks,
NoRane

'82 Special, slightly odded.

Do you have any slack in the grip? If so, make some, it SHOULD remedy it.

No no, not holding the clutch lever in, there is absolutely no resistance when you do that. This is more like a stomping on a rotten pumpkin feeling.

I am starting to suspect that the clutch is the culprit. My best guess is that flipping the club bars changed the tension on the clutch wire and it is now partially engaged all the time (it died on me when I was riding just now). I have adjusted the clutch to have maximum slack, but I'd bet that it still needs more and I need my cable cover shortened.

Does that make sense? I just want to make sure I don't have a broken part inside the clutch that is going to mess up my season, 'cause that would suck.

Thanks for the responses..

Is the lever tight RIGHT from the beginning? Screw in the adjuster totally, is it the same then?

it is tight yes, and the adjuster is totally in.. still tighter than normal, but not by much.

ahh.. good idea. duh.. I bet that would have come to me eventually.

I'll try that soon, I need it to be in one piece for my move. I'll update the result of course. Thanks.

Back