kickstarter not engaging

gray am I

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put my clutch cover back on after doing the #4 spring clip fix and replacing my clutch basket and I found the kickstarter travels almost all the way to the bottom and only engages a very small amount at the very bottom. I am able to use the electric start now and it seems to be working fine in starting the engine, and once started I can get it to kick over using the last 2 inches of kickstarter stroke.
I remember when I was removing the clutch cover the kickstarter shaft coming out about 5-10mm, and I am wondering if there may be a problem with the spring?

Doesnt every body work on their mc upside down?
It is alot easier to use a zip tie on the spring to pull it to the stud.

Yes, you no doubt messed up the kicker shaft install when you allowed it to pull out with the cover. As mentioned, it's probably the drag clip since it still appears to be returning as it should. In the future, hold the shaft in with your thumb as you work the cover off. Then this won't happen again.

See post #8 here .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/how-the-hell-does-this-kicker-shaft-work.25602/

Peanut - The penny dropped! I can work on the gears without splitting cam chain and removing the head/cylinders as long as I turn the engine upside down. This is correct isn't it? Handy to know this for the future.

Thanks guys, played around with the kick starter this arvo and sometimes I can get it to engage at the halfway mark, but mostly goes all the way down without engaging, returns to the top ok each time. Does the kick clip work the same way as the #4 starter gear in as much as if it looses tension it wont throw out and engage? Anyhow it looks like I'll be draining my fresh oil and removing the clutch cover again, hopefully I will be able to reuse the new gasket I've just put in.

Lay bike over on LH side (use carpet or cardboard, have a 5 gallon bucket handy for the handlebar to rest on) no oil loss. If you grease gaskets before install they can be reused several times. Yamaha applied a bit of sealer on the clutch gasket where the crankcase halves join.

Back