Kickstarter slipping/not engaging/

...I don't know if this is explained right... I am confused!

Congratulations Airwolfie! I'm confused, too.

Take a step back, slow/deep breath. Let's clear up some terms.

When you pull-in the clutch lever, the clutch disengages.
When you let-out the clutch lever, the clutch engages.

On the first start of the day, it's actually recommended that you pull-in the clutch lever (disengaging the clutch), and kick it through until the clutch releases (uncouples/frees-up the stuck discs). This reduces that harsh first gear 'clunk' when you begin your ride. Then, you let-out the clutch lever (so that the clutch engages) when you're ready to do the actual kickstarting, because the kickstarting energy goes through the clutch to spin the engine.

Of course, you already knew this.

Now, explain again.

(And, where's yer father-in-law during all this?)

I am on the naughty step! :doh::doh::doh::doh:

Ants phoned me today and we got it sorted in no time!! ALL MY INCOMPETENCE, NOTHING TO DO WITH ANTS'S PRODUCT AT ALL!!!!! The kit is really nice and works a treat unless you give it to a muppet like me!!! I'll do a proper write up soon with a step by step so you guys can see how easy-and how stupid I am!!

It all works fine now, testing it tomorrow on my commute! I'm sure it will all be OK!!

your symptoms could have helped somebody. Yes, you feel like a idiot, but if someone else is an idiot, how would they know? What did you do wrong? How did you figure out it was your fault, and not the product? You have reached guru status, now show us how even a guru fuks up sometimes. Its ok.

your an idiot, I'm an idiot, oh well we all have brain farts and it taste bad.
I of course cant read what you did you deleted it.
I take it the clutch was slightly depressed with the new hydraulic system you installed.:thumbsup:

your an idiot, I'm an idiot, oh well we all have brain farts and it taste bad.
I of course cant read what you did you deleted it.
I take it the clutch was slightly depressed with the new hydraulic system you installed.:thumbsup:

Yeah you got it bang on Carbon!:doh:

Too much pressure on the pushrod, which was fine when I had the cover on with a couple of bolts, but once the rest were on, my guess is that was enough to push it in further out, enough to make the clutch slip! It was just a matter of reducing the screw that extends the pushrod a few mm, and all was good!:doh:

is there any room on the naughty step for another idiot ?:(

Things didn't go to plan for my MOT trip this morning .

At some point ......as I struggled to find neutral.....on a steep hill ..... I must have knocked the stop switch to off !

I suspect that that may have some bearing on why the bike then failed to start for the next 15 minutes of kicking :doh:

is there any room on the naughty step for another idiot ?:(

Things didn't go to plan for my MOT trip this morning .

At some point ......as I struggled to find neutral.....on a steep hill ..... I must have knocked the stop switch to off !

I suspect that that may have some bearing on why the bike then failed to start for the next 15 minutes of kicking :doh:

No naughty step there mate! Just a bit of sillyness!Many times I took off only for the bike to die due to not turning on the fuel tap!!

hows it going AW ? have you sorted the carb tuning ? is it running really well ?
I was blown away by the power of mine. Its like being strapped to a rocket :laugh::bike:

hows it going AW ? have you sorted the carb tuning ? is it running really well ?
I was blown away by the power of mine. Its like being strapped to a rocket :laugh::bike:

Carbs still not 100% but a lot better, A bit less bogging up top since I sprayed carb cleaner in all its orifices. Still need to get some jets and play about with it!

Mine is quick too, but not as quick as I am used to, but I'm not complaining! Loads of fun plodding to work on it this week! Already done over 400 miles on it!!:yikes:

Already done over 400 miles on it!!:yikes:

Crikey !:yikes: great to hear that it is getting used frequently . That should give it a good shake down and find any problems if there are any.

I have no way of telling how quick mine is as I have only ever ridden a Triumph Thunderbird 650 and a BSA Spitfire 650 both of which were positively geriactic compared with this thing.

I must sort the difficulty finding neutral . Its really embarrasing trying to get started again at a junction with half a dozen cars piled up behind you.

It starts quite well on kickstart but in this weather with your jacket and helmet on it doesn't take many minutes before you are puffing and panting and sweating especially if you need to shove the bike anywhere . I'm really glad I've fitted the leccy start.

Yesterday I must have got a misfire as the kickstart came back up and smacked me in the sole of my boots which hurt like hell.!:mad: After that it was difficult to kick over and I was a tad nervous too to be honest.

I'm going to look for a way I can attach a decent sized tool box as there is no room under the seat. I also want to find somewhere I can fit a small spare battery until I sort the intermittent charging /battery connection problem.

Ill try and get a vid of my next MOT trip and find a way of holding my sports cam securely on my chest without it falling out my pocket.

Lastly I need to extend my sidestand so I can catch it with my foot. Its really hard reaching down and doing it by hand.

What mods have you thought of doing with yours

@Peanut, I have done all the mods I wanted to do! Tweaking and adjusting is all I want to do now! Possibly do a dyno on the engine at some stage.
My kickstand hides well under my footrest, so I need to bend over to pull it out too! It might have to be bent out or extended too like yours, but it's not too bad as my seat is lower than yours!

Back