kill switch grounding

MN_Bobber

79 XS650 Newb
Reaction score
Does a universal style kill switch / start button ground itself to the bars via that little metal (magnetic) nub inside the case that goes around the bars? It seems like it sticks out about 1/8 inch too far - I'm guessing it's for just that grounding purpose.

Thanks!

a starter switch would be grounding, a kill switch should be an on/off switch, cutting power on a + wire.. a kill switch shouldn't ground to anything

Thanks for the response. I am going to use the momentary "start" switch as my horn button. I guess my questions was really about how the switch assembly is grounded to the bars.

You are more than likely right, the nub is the ground. If you are still using stockish rubber mounted handle bars be aware that the handlebars need to be grounded to the frame (not just the forks) .
Nit pick alert! I believe a "true" kill switch comes from the days of magneto ignitions and as you stated it "grounds" the mag coil so there is no spark. Many an aviator met an untimely demise when the "kill" switch wire was broken and the mag was hot. 200 pounds of prop and crankshaft will make a rather big gash in ones skull. Most modern "kill" switches remove power from the coil or spark control circuit.
Moral (if any) know what kind of stop switch you need to have.

Back