ground wire, under upper triple clam

txxsconroe

1975 survivor
Reaction score
I am currently reassembling my 1975 650B...... while reconnecting the wiring inside the headlight housing, I noticed a ground wire one end attached to the clutch side of the upper triple clamp. This Black wire is appx 4 inches long , I do not recall seeing/noticing it during the disassembly process, the wire does not seem to be long enough to attach to any other
ground location that makes sense to me. The free end is shaped like a washer to attach onto a bolt , the washer opening is 6mm and the od is 13 mm.

The good news is I tested all the electrical yesterday and everything functioned , with the exception of no low beam only high beam. That will be addressed in another post later.

Is anyone familiar with this ?

I have several manuals with wiring information and have not seen any reference to this so far.

Thanks for any feedback

Certainly sounds like a ground wire - would it reach into the headlamp shell and secure to the shell mounting screw?

The earthing/grounding of the wiring in the headlamp area can be a weak point on XS650 - Yamaha seems to have believed that the ball bearings in the headstock will conduct electrons to the frame. Like many others, I added an extra earth wire from the lower triple clamp to the top engine mount - obviously, an earth from either triple clamp to the engine or main frame would suffice.

Txxsconroe, I notice this is your first posting - welcome to the madhouse. The good folk hereabouts love pictures so don't hesitate to put up a few photos of your bike.

Attaches to handlebar riser bolt providing ground for start and horn buttons.
The handlebar ground was relocated a few times, to the LH control bundle on later bikes.
And yes welcome aboard.

Last edited:
Certainly sounds like a ground wire - would it reach into the headlamp shell and secure to the shell mounting screw?

The earthing/grounding of the wiring in the headlamp area can be a weak point on XS650 - Yamaha seems to have believed that the ball bearings in the headstock will conduct electrons to the frame. Like many others, I added an extra earth wire from the lower triple clamp to the top engine mount - obviously, an earth from either triple clamp to the engine or main frame would suffice.

Txxsconroe, I notice this is your first posting - welcome to the madhouse. The good folk hereabouts love pictures so don't hesitate to put up a few photos of your bike.
Thanks for your quick reply and the welcome to the community. Since everything is working key on not running and no fuses are being blown I am thinking that maybe it is not OE - I have a photo from original owner in the 70's and it had a Vetter type faring/windshield, thought maybe related to that.
Again thanks for the feedback. Preston

Attaches to handlebar riser bolt providing ground for start and horn buttons.
The handlebar ground was relocated a few times, to the LH control bundle on later bikes.
And yes welcome aboard.
Thanks for the feedback, wondering about the ground wire above..... was with the bike over the weekend - the attached end is to the underside handle bar riser bolt - do you know where the end not attached should be connected ? Thanks

where the end not attached should be connected ?
to one of the multi terminal black wires in the headlight bucket.
careful cuz the chocolate and dark green turnsignal wires often get mixed up with black grounds

Attachments

• 75-6 XS650 wiring diagram color.PNG
    75-6 XS650 wiring diagram color.PNG
    60.8 KB · Views: 77
Back