kill switch overhaul

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
pictures say about 90% of it. This is on an 80 but prolly the same all years. Switch was stuck but a
"good to do" maintenance on any old bike, you want full volts to the coil....

In spite of the small size, those screws fit a #2 (or JIS #2) screwdriver best. Polish don't sandpaper contacts. grease with dielectric silicone or 2M's contact lubricant. There are three springs, two on the contact bracket one with a ball for the off-on-off detents, you can see just the top end of the springs in the pic, grease springs, ball, the spring wells, helps keep rust at bay. Nice to work in a cake pan, keeps little parts from wandering off.
Note the third switch retaining screw hiding under the two wires inside the control.

DSCN7501.JPG
DSCN7500.JPG
DSCN7499.JPG
DSCN7498.JPG
DSCN7496.JPG

Key words; power control over haul fix repair ignition clean

This is something I really need to do. All my switch gear has a thick gummy feel to them. I've been hesitant to get into them because I have spent entire afternoons before, searching my garage for tiny parts that have jumped out of their hiding places when I took them apart. I really like the cake pan idea for capturing run aways.

I will say that I'll grab some spray silicone and hit sticky, rough feeling switches then give em a good work out. Often as not it gets them back in business. But mission critical switches like this and the key switch deserve the full monty.

Here's how I overhauled mine. Parts of it had crumbled beyond repair so I connected the two lugs together and taped them. Found a throwaway plug on the floor from an industrial light fixture and glued it in there. Gasoline and a thumbnail will get those labels off.
switch repair.jpg

Much better to clean switches before you HAVE TO. I watched a Hi/Low beam switch burn up before my eyes when I was 700 miles from home once, smoke was rolling out of there. I rode another 75 miles that night with only high beam. Some ScotchBrite and charcoal lighter, borrowed from a neighboring camper, fixed it the next morning. I also cleaned an ignition switch, road side, once. I've had headlight problems with the Honda starter switches while far from home too.

Scott

Just a note on identifying J.I.S. Phillips screws. The heads have a dot stamped on them. Gary's pics nicely illustrate this.

Any idea why JIS is used in some places on the bike and Phillips in others?

Standard Phillips screws have larger heads than the J.I.S. ones and I think Yamaha wanted that in some spots. A couple examples of this are the screws that hold the points/advance housing covers on and the ones on the alternator cover.

This is a must-do, but i hate putting them back together with those tiny balls and springs.

Back