Killing Clutch

Glormegil

1975 XS650 Owner
Reaction score
Im new to this form so please be patient.

I have recently saved a xs650 from a shed where it had been sitting for nearly 9 years. I got the carbs replaced and put about 20 miles on it with it running great, with minor rough shifting. Now, I seem to be having an issue that when I put it in first and release the clutch the engine just stalls out. If I didn't know better I would say I was new to manual shifting and I'm just poping the clutch, but im not.

Any ideas? Im getting a little fustrated :banghead:with this project.

Thanks For the Help guys/gals.

Sounds like your clutch is not fully disengaging. Try a proper full adjustment. Service the cable and worm gear assembly in the left cover as well.

Welcome Glormegil,
These clutchs are rough and grabby to me also. Follow 5twins advice.
Learning the clutch adjustment and then maintaining it makes it liveable.
Plenty of reference material in the tech section if you need it.

Ok, so been working on this problem most of the morning. I tried the brakes and the front on rubs slightly. When I put it up on the center stand and start and put it in gear it works fine. So 5twin, could it still be the problem you suggest?

Possibly. Does the rear wheel jerk and start spinning when you put it in gear and still have the clutch pulled in? With it in gear and the clutch pulled in, it's normal for the rear wheel to start spinning. There's lots of drag on all the gears inside the tranny and clutch. But you should be able to stop it with your hand and not have the engine stall.

It's also normal for a disc brake to drag but only a very little bit. Go for a short ride if you can, just a couple miles. Pull over, lick your finger, and touch the disc. I tell you to lick your finger because if the disc is dragging too much, it will get very, very hot in a short amount of time, hot enough to burn your finger tip.

Don't know what year you have but 82 83 have a side stand safety switch that can go bad................ engine will run in neutral but kill when you put it in gear and let out the clutch.

Well for the jerk. It starts to move forward but dies shortly, within a foot, of trying to move. As for the front brake, shen it is off the wheel and spun it rolls for a short while after I let go of the wheel.

Does it "clunk" when you put it in gear? With the engine off, you should be able to push the bike while in gear and the clutch disengeged, (lever pulled in).

Also, you say that you recently cleaned the carbs. You may have dislodged some debris but left it in there. You might want to check the filter/petcock.

The bike moves when in gear and the clutch disengaged. As for the carbs i had the professionally cleaned and at the time had the pins and gaskets in them replaced. However when I started getting the "stalling" problem I also started getting backfirering that was not there whe. The bike first started up.

Check compression. It is not unusual for some carbon to drop and cause a valve to not close all the way. Have you set valves and cam chain tension, checked points, condensers, coils. Looked for 12 volts AT THE COILS? Oil changed, filters checked? Any unusual noises from the engine, like clicking?

Now that you mention it. I have heard a small slicking sound from the engine. Even after changing the oil.

Thanks guys. This forum is being alot more helpful the time i would have thought.

So I was given an other point today while in classes at college. Could this problem be related to the points? I was told that it could cause the massive back firering that I am getting, and the lose of power when I put in gear. Does this make sense?

Sorry for so many questions. This is my first bike project I am not use to these small/old engines. And thanks agian for all the help guys.

The most efficient way to trouble shoot is to check everything the bike needs to run, verify correct operation, repair or adjust as needed, soon you will correct the problem. But don't stop there, keep going til you have all the normal maintenance items verified working correctly then you will have a bike you can trust, as much as you can trust any 37 year old machine.

The reason the guy believes the points are the issue is because the bike has been sitting in a shed for 9 years. He told me it is likely that the points got corroded during this time and when I ran it it either bent/put out of time/ destroyed these probably original parts on the bike.

See my advice above. Points seldom bend, warp or break. There are good threads in the tech section on how to properly check clean and adjust points and the advance mechanism. and nearly every other maintenance procedure. There are also links to download the factory maintenance manual. I would like to strongly suggest you do that, and read up on each area before you attempt repairs. Keep the questions coming as you troubleshoot. You have an old bike that has been in a barn for 9 years you will be working on it for a while.

Back