Knives and other things

View attachment 254847

From top to bottom:
1. Victorinox, made in Switzerland. This was one of my father’s knives. He used it daily at work as a nurseryman. Holds an edge well. Dad used this for everything from cutting plants and trees to carving wood and used as a utility knife to cut panelling, cardboard etc.
2. Kershaw Cryo. Nice utility knife that holds an edge well. Has spring open assist for single handed operation. One of my favourites. Feels good in your hand. Lifetime warranty too. I think you can even send it back for sharpening.
3. Gerber Gator. Inexpensive knife, rubber handle. The SS blade doesn’t hold an edge very well. Ok for general use and wouldn’t break my heart if I lost or broke it. Serrated section is great for cutting rope.
4. Frontier Double Eagle. This is the first “good” knife I ever bought. At the time I thought it was quite expensive. Narrow blade that holds an edge well. Locks open and with a bit of practice you can operate the knife with one hand. Nice leather sheath too.
5. Spyderco all SS, with serrated lock blade. Was marketed as a knife for sailors. One handed operation is quite easy with the hole in the blade. The serrated blade cuts through rope easily. Broke the tip off and rather than throw the knife away, I shortened it by maybe 3/8”. Looks a bit odd but still works well. The serrated blade rarely needs to be sharpened.
Nice collection of knives! I especially like the Kershaw and the Frontier Double Eagle. 🙂
they were French fighting knives from the 15th century.

Made for fighting toast and marmalade no doubt! 😁
my favorite these days is a Kershaw Leek, I have several with various handle treatments.

I too like Kershaw knives, in fact you guys made me think of one I’ve got…..see below.
This is the standard knife for Construction sites back then everyone knows of
And I suppose every craftsman have at least one

That’s an interesting knife, I just posted one below that I use for jobs around the house and drywall work.

I’ve been enjoying seeing some of the knives you guys have, some of them are very unique, like those French Fighting knives! 😆
It made me remember a few others I have hanging around.
This first one is purely sentimental, it was my Dads pocket knife he always carried, no name brand on it, it’s an all stainless steel locking blade knife with a very sharp blade.
IMG_9369.jpeg

This one I picked up at a hardware store, I use it for working around the house and utility work, it has a locking knife blade, a locking razor knife, and a surprisingly bright and handy, tiny little led flashlight, that folds out of the way. I used to carry it with my motorcycle tools too.
IMG_9367.jpeg
IMG_9364.jpeg

And lastly, this is probably the best knife I own, my Kershaw Speedsafe, spring assist , locking blade knife. It has a nice textured non slip grip, it’s razor sharp, its slim and it clips right into your Jean pocket and that little thumb activated spring assist opener makes it as quick as a switchblade to open. It’s really a nice piece.
IMG_9365.jpeg
IMG_9366.jpeg

I have a few:
The one on the left is a flick knife I bought when stationed in Malaysia. Pretty useless really, but I bought it just to see how they worked. Terrible edge and ilegal in 0z.

Second from left is a stainless folder, looks nice, but again terrible Edge.

The next two are from China from memory.. These are bloody good follders: Terrific edge, more like razor blades. Seem to hold their edge and are easy to sharpen.

Second last one is a steak knife, the wife uses it to cut my dinner.

Last one is a fat handle knife. They sell them in mobility shops to old folks like me who need their wives to cut up their dinner. I use it the skin the butter and spread it on my bread.

I used to make knives from old leaf springs back in the 80s. Using coke in various forges and blowers I made during my blacksmithing phase. All lost along the way, unfortunately. I did sell a few customs along the way. I made a few double edged, balanced throwing knives, never mastered the art of throwing them though.

Mostly I made Bowies, bloody big ones. I made one around 15" long, it had an aluminium handle and a brass guard and bugle head screws and nuts holding the handle in place. It was hollow ground and had the tempering colours running through the polished blade, it looked the business, but it did have a very slight curve, compliments of uneven hammering. Unfortunately, being carbon steel it tended to rust, so, didn't hold it's shine for long, and ended up just being another rusty tool in my workshop. No idea what happened to it, lost somewhere in our travels.
When my mom was is her last years she had trouble cutting her food. I bought her a knife similar to the one you show to the right. It helped a bit but after she passed I paid a bit more attention to which muscles are needed to cut things with a knife and realized she no longer had the strength to apply downward force to let the knife do it’s thing. Interesting the things we take for granted while our bodies are still relatively healthy.

When my mom was is her last years she had trouble cutting her food. I bought her a knife similar to the one you show to the right. It helped a bit but after she passed I paid a bit more attention to which muscles are needed to cut things with a knife and realized she no longer had the strength to apply downward force to let the knife do it’s thing. Interesting the things we take for granted while our bodies are still relatively healthy.
I don't have too many problems with the strength aspect, mostly just with dexterity and joint movement. Both fork and spoon I've had to bend sideways/inwards so I don't miss my gob.

I have a butterfly knife somewhere that I also bought in Malaysia back in the early 90s, no idea where the damn thing is now, it's taken a lot of my skin with it. Beats the hell out of me how you spin the stupid things around without removing your fingers. But, I did try!

I have a butterfly knife somewhere that I also bought in Malaysia back in the early 90s, no idea where the damn thing is now, it's taken a lot of my skin with it. Beats the hell out of me how you spin the stupid things around without removing your fingers. But, I did try!
I think you practice with a dull one. 😀

The top one is a Bowie that I made about 30-40 yrs ago..... whenever Crocodile Dundee came out I suppose. :rolleyes:
It has no practical use. Don't remember what steel I used... guard and pummel are aluminum and the handle is oak.
I shaped the pommel in the fashion of an eagles head. It actually holds an edge quiet nicely... so it's one of the very few I made that I got the heat treating right... :cautious:
As I said though, not the best steel... prone to rusting.

The bottom is a hunting bowie that I found laying in a field covered in rust. It cleaned up pretty good. The pits jus' add to the patina... doncha think?
Scabbard was actually made by a friend and forum member.... @RustiePyles He does excellent leather work.

I'll add some more when I run across 'em.

1699566986158.png

1699567823032.png

Last edited:
This is what I love about this forum and group. Not only about a specific bike, but discussions of all kinds - beavers (the 4 legged type), knives, garages, jokes, weather, scantily clad women and the list goes on. My favourite go to site for late evening entertainment. 👍😀

I'll add a few "other things".
Head knockers. A couple made from Osage Orange and a lightweight made from Virginia Juniper.
Sometimes when cutting trees for firewood or in the instance of the Juniper, a walkabout and being observant, I'll see something that needs to be made.
The arc knocker has those white patches on both sides. Makes me think Canada Goose. Maybe one of these days I'll shape it and add a beak.
IMG_0162.JPG
IMG_0163.JPG

I'll add a few "other things".
Head knockers. A couple made from Osage Orange and a lightweight made from Virginia Juniper.
Sometimes when cutting trees for firewood or in the instance of the Juniper, a walkabout and being observant, I'll see something that needs to be made.
The arc knocker has those white patches on both sides. Makes me think Canada Goose. Maybe one of these days I'll shape it and add a beak.View attachment 254933View attachment 254934
Interesting. I wonder if you had one of these in your car or home, it would be considered to be a weapon by police? The last one with the rounded head would be difficult to explain for alternate intended use but the hammer like ones could be a gardening tool for hammering in wooden stakes. Might be fun to make such items.

The ball ended stick looks like an Irish shillelagh.
I should have had something in there for comparison. It's 26 inches overall.
Thinking how Osage blackens over time it would make a nice shillelagh and the wood is heavy and dense. I've heard the BTU's are comparable to coal when burning for fuel, it sure smells like it.

I should have had something in there for comparison. It's 26 inches overall.
Thinking how Osage blackens over time it would make a nice shillelagh and the wood is heavy and dense. I've heard the BTU's are comparable to coal when burning for fuel, it sure smells like it.
The Irish also call them fighting sticks. I've got a couple of websites bookmarked that I'll buy a blackthorn walking stick when it comes time for me to use one.

As a boy, I often carried a sheath knife around, as did most of us back then. It was a whittlin' thing, and for all the other uses a knife can be put to if you're messing around in the woods, or even just the back garden.
Amazingly, nobody got stabbed, the idea of using it as an offensive weapon was totally foreign. Well, obviously some blaggards did, else we'd all still be carrying them.
For many years my workshop knife needs were catered for by just sharpening a broken hacksaw blade (preferably the 1" mechanical blades) and wrapping a handle on it with tape.

About thirty years ago I came across a neat little pocket lock knife that has a military style stamp on it, but only years later discovered that it was a Dutch Army knife. That knife has lived on my key chain for three decades and it used to travel all over the place through airport scanners without anyone being nervous. It's got a relatively short blade anyway, but keeps an edge reasonably well.

knife KL73 Dutch Army knife.jpg

Only other long-term knife I have is a copy of a Buck lock knife made in Pakistan - usual boot sale, market stall fare. That just lies around the workshop and is used for various duties. Terrible for keeping a good edge - ie, not very well.

I've been looking at some German hunting knives recently, probably made in China, though.

That looks like a nice little pocket knife!
It is, very useful.
In my local supermarket I usually hoik out the keychain with knife attached and hand it to the till woman, because the keyring has my storecard on it.
None of them raise an eyebrow - any more, they're used to it.
It gave me thought though, not many guys carry pocket or pen knives nowadays.

That knife has lived on my key chain for three decades and it used to travel all over the place through airport scanners without anyone being nervous.
I had a knife that I kept on the side of my phone holder.... a canvas one that went on my belt... had a loop/pouch on the side that was perfect for the knife... a folding pocket knife.

About 10 yrs ago the wife and I took a trip out to Kingston Wa to visit the kids and grand kids. Through security here in KCI, then Denver, ending at Seattle. Return was Seattle to Las Vegas, then back home to KCI.
I was so used to having the knife on the phone holder that I forgot it was there.... until we arrived back to the house. It was scanned 4 times and not once was it flagged and taken away from me.

Y'all feel safer now? :er:

Last edited:
I had a knife that I kept on the side of my phone holder.... a canvas one that went on my belt... had a loop/pouch on the side that was perfect for the knife... a folding pocket knife.

About 10 yrs ago the wife and I took a trip out to Kingston Wa to visit the kids and grand kids. Through security here in KCI, then Denver, ending at Seattle. Return was Seattle to Las Vegas, then back home to KCI.
I was so used to having the knife on the phone holder that I forgot it was there.... until we arrived back to the house. It was scanned 4 times and not once was it flagged and taken away from me.

Y'all feel safer now? :er:
I have a similar story, in and out of an airport with a body count.

Back