Knives and other things

IMG_5920.jpeg

a Defensive or Offensive knife carried should be large enough to be effective.
Such a knife should be occasionally handled so as to train yourself to not stab yourself in the face in a fists up position..

1700246882746.png
Top one I found while demoing a house cheap Chinese but I love the colors in the handle
Next is my windshield knife been carrying that in my toolbox for years, never cutting a windshield out with wire again. Cake work.
(Shoul'da put that one in the specialty tools thread)
Next my Buck knife, birthday present from my brother in law sits in the gun cabinet and has never been used for anything but venison.
My Case knife I carried for over 20 years working on horse farms cutting twine and wire bales, pickin hooves and whatever else needed doing.
Always put a hole in the front thigh area of my jeans though. Now I carry a little cheapie that's light and has a smooth handle, it's sharp though and no more holes in my jeans.
1700248560814.png

Here is a knife I never carry with me. It is a trade knife that was given to me by my grandmother when I was 7 years old in the mid-1960s. She told me the knife was given to her by an old neighbor when she was a child, maybe in the first decade of the 1900s. My grandma died when I was 13, so I never heard or remembered the full history of the knife. The blade seems to have been made from a file and isvery sharp. The end of the blade is charred a bit as if it has been used in a fire. The bead pattern is simple and doesn’t seem diagnostic. But I have never come across a similar pattern anywhere else.
Knife - Native American Sheath.jpg

Here is a knife I never carry with me. It is a trade knife that was given to me by my grandmother when I was 7 years old in the mid-1960s. She told me the knife was given to her by an old neighbor when she was a child, maybe in the first decade of the 1900s. My grandma died when I was 13, so I never heard or remembered the full history of the knife. The blade seems to have been made from a file and isvery sharp. The end of the blade is charred a bit as if it has been used in a fire. The bead pattern is simple and doesn’t seem diagnostic. But I have never come across a similar pattern anywhere else.
View attachment 255456

Well now that’s an interesting bit of history. 😉

IMG_3177.jpeg

I was into Buck knives as a kid. I bought these in the early 70s. A 120, 110, and 301V. I bought the 301V after my great uncle told me the other knives were useless, except for making tent stakes. He was a fur trapper by trade. Since those big knives are still brand new, I guess that proves him right. Whatever. I still have them.

Last edited:
Oddly enough (or maybe not), gave my oldest son most of my knives about 20yrs ago. :cheers:

Nice collection Marty! I especially like that smaller folding knife. 🙂

On a side note, this morning I met my oldest son for breakfast and handed him a box with all of the knives from the first post of this thread.
I have my grandfathers fly rod. I had I appraised. It looks brand spanking new. It’s a bamboo rod made in about 1921. He came to the United States in 1923, so I expect it was an early acquisition.

I have no sons. Four grandsons, so far. All too young for big knives.

My Dad gave me this KA-BAR that he found in a wall as a kid. I looked it up and it appears to be made between 1909-12. It is scary sharp and always has been and of course over the years the blade has lost some meat from grinding but It’s still impressive.image.jpg

It is, very useful.
In my local supermarket I usually hoik out the keychain with knife attached and hand it to the till woman, because the keyring has my storecard on it.
None of them raise an eyebrow - any more, they're used to it.
It gave me thought though, not many guys carry pocket or pen knives nowadays.
Where I live, EVERYONE carries a pocketknife, and I only know of one person who ever used one as a weapon. A friend of mine was getting stomped on by 2 guys in a bar parking lot and his wife stabbed one of the assailants in the thigh. That stopped the fight quick. She then threw it on the roof. When the police got there, nobody knew nothing. She always says "You stab one guy and nobody will let you forget".

I'll toss these in, some of my accumulation.
Top is a sword belt plate and directly below is the sword. These belonged to my ggggrandfather Theodore Harmer of Philadelphia that had joined the Pennsylvania Buck Tails . He was assigned to D.C. for the short duration he was in.
Next down came out of our Gibson line, John Gibson, mayor of Philadelphia, circa 1773. This piece had been a mystery for years until it was identified as a French Grenardier Hangar, 1790's?
Small piece to the left was my step grandfathers, Herman Weber. He had joined the navy in the '30's and then joined the army when the big one hit. Thinking his is a navy piece.
He was stationed in England and said that he was often stopped by the Bobbies for ID and when he saw German POW's they would stare at him as if to say "What are you doing out there?" He was first generation German and looked it.
Next one I found on my property on a walk about. At first I thought it was one of thos Pakistani throw togethers but on closer examination it's a Smith and Wesson Texas Rangers commemorative. Sharp as the day it was laid down and left. It could have been out there 15 years before I found it, I've left it in its found state minus the mud.
Next is made from one of Pop Webers' files. Son in law had it made and gifted it to me.
Last bit is a couple of neck knives I threw together from some blades I picked up along the way. Top one has a deer leg bone handle and the bottom one I handled with some chestnut slab from one of my trees. Neck knife sheath separates the two.
IMG_0145.JPG

I wore that Civil War sword belt plate as my daily attire until I found a replica replacement. Yours truly on the far right....mebbe 18 years old, 1970. Rabbit hunting. Note the belt buckle.
IMG_0083.JPG

Last is Herman Weber and his little brother Edward. Pop in his Navy uniform.
IMG_0123.JPG

Last edited:
Where I live, EVERYONE carries a pocketknife, and I only know of one person who ever used one as a weapon. A friend of mine was getting stomped on by 2 guys in a bar parking lot and his wife stabbed one of the assailants in the thigh. That stopped the fight quick. She then threw it on the roof. When the police got there, nobody knew nothing. She always says "You stab one guy and nobody will let you forget".

Come to think of it Ry Cooder had a song about southern ladies with knives

https://www.google.com/search?chann...rer#vhid=usQVBw08_4tcdM&vssid=videos-3d15a6bb

I worked in a office in Washington D.C. for 24 years. Lots of advanced degrees and highly educated staff members.
Wore an original Leatherman tool in it's leather sheath on my belt occasionally - until someone said doing so was in-appropriate. I think this was after O.J.

Maybe he thought it was a typical Buck or Schrade locking blade knife many us carried.

I'll toss these in, some of my accumulation.
Top is a sword belt plate and directly below is the sword. These belonged to my ggggrandfather Theodore Harmer of Philadelphia that had joined the Pennsylvania Buck Tails . He was assigned to D.C. for the short duration he was in.
Next down came out of our Gibson line, John Gibson, mayor of Philadelphia, circa 1773. This piece had been a mystery for years until it was identified as a French Grenardier Hangar, 1790's?
Small piece to the left was my step grandfathers, Herman Weber. He had joined the navy in the '30's and then joined the army when the big one hit. Thinking his is a navy piece.
He was stationed in England and said that he was often stopped by the Bobbies for ID and when he saw German POW's they would stare at him as if to say "What are you doing out there?" He was first generation German and looked it.
Next one I found on my property on a walk about. At first I thought it was one of thos Pakistani throw togethers but on closer examination it's a Smith and Wesson Texas Rangers commemorative. Sharp as the day it was laid down and left. It could have been out there 15 years before I found it, I've left it in its found state minus the mud.
Next is made from one of Pop Webers' files. Son in law had it made and gifted it to me.
Last bit is a couple of neck knives I threw together from some blades I picked up along the way. Top one has a deer leg bone handle and the bottom one I handled with some chestnut slab from one of my trees. Neck knife sheath separates the two.
View attachment 255594
I wore that Civil War sword belt plate as my daily attire until I found a replica replacement. Yours truly on the far right....mebbe 18 years old, 1970. Rabbit hunting. Note the belt buckle.
View attachment 255595
Last is Herman Weber and his little brother Edward. Pop in his Navy uniform.
View attachment 255597

Wow! Good stuff there, you’ve got some good stuff there! Quite the history!

Back