Kz carb help please

section8joe

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Im helping a friend with his 79 KZ750B4. Supposed to have bs38's and here's a thread I posted on KZRIDER.COM. Can someone maybe help me out here?

OK, I'm using this link to go through and clean the carbs on a 79 750. I was kzrider.com and was told that these(bs38's) are the same carbs that are on the kz.

These carbs look kinda similar but not exactly the same as the link above. Anyway I'm having trouble getting the choke plunger out. I have it threaded completely out and I try and pull it out and it wont budge. Do I need to remove the clip on top to get the plunger out? The plunger never worked right on the bike. It was alway stuck kinda half way between open and closed.
5909938961_6c669c65fd_z.jpg

It seems like these carbs have two different floats. One float has a few circle markings on the side and the other doesn't. The one on the right seems to be a bit larger but that may be because it's sitting higher.I haven't begun to adjust the floats. One's at like 24mm and the other at 29mm
5909939141_043fc94652_z.jpg

Are these bs 38's?

This bike ran really lean and idles really high. Im thinking it needs bigger jets but I don't want to mess with them until I get the choke plunger and floats issue taken care of.

They could be BS38s. The BS series came in several sizes (32,34,38) and 38s would be appropriate for a 750. Obviously, one float was replaced at some time. If you set them the same and they work, I wouldn't worry about it. It's possible one is a newer replacement and the style was changed slightly. As far as a setting, I haven't a clue but think it would have to be similar to the 650 38 settings. They were 24 or 25mm depending on the year.

The choke plunger should pull out once the nut is unscrewed. That plastic fitting on top doesn't hold it in at all, it's for the choke lift lever to fit onto. You might try removing the choke housing from the carb. I think you can see parts of the plunger when you have the housing off and maybe you can pry it up and out.

Looks like time for a new set of carbs.

Back