KZ400 oil/gas coming from breather!! HELP

Juicyk

Retro
Reaction score
Good to be back in the bike scene after a few months!

So I've got a '76 kz400, twin just like the xs650 if you're unfamiliar. just got the carbs dialed in nicely today and the bike runs great. Aside from one issue. Ive got oil and gas dumping out of my crank case breather,(the tube running from the top of the motor and between the carbs.). It's quite a lot of liquid as well not just the normal mist. It only does it once the bike has been running for a while. But its strange to be that the bike runs perfect, no smoke at all!

Any ideas guys?

My heart pumps piss for you dude. That's the best I can do seeing you have a Kawasaki 400 and are posting on a Yamaha 650 list. We have way, way too many newbie 650 owners as it is. Too many in fact to even take care of. I don't think there's room for newbie 400 Kawasaki owners too. There are forums dedicated to those bikes and maybe help would be more easily obtained there.

well carbs are obvoiusly leaking if oil is getting into the lower end, fix that problem and CHANGE the oil

(jayel playing nice because you do have a 83 XS650 even if you did chop it)

Though sarcastic the responses are appreciated, but if an admin sees this could I have the thread moved to the non-xs650 section. Must have miss-clicked at some point during posting.

Also if anyone has had a similar issue with their xs le me know.

I have a 1976 KZ400, set up as a cafe bike, as well, in addition to my 1977 XS650D. Don't know if you've been there, but The Kawasaki Twin Owners Forum is a good source of info.

http://www.armbell.com/kz400/index.php?mforum=kz400

I had the same problem as you are describing with a Suzuki Katana 750 a while back. It had a leaky petcock, and I fixed it, but didn't realize that gas had gotten into the bottom end. It would run well for about 15 minutes, then stumble and stall, and couldn't be restarted for 10-15 minutes. It would then run fine for about 15 minutes, and repeat the problem. I discovered it one day when I had the engine running with the filter out of the airbox. I was standing behind the bike talking to my son and his friend, and noticed what looked like liquid running down from the breather hose. It was gasoline that had made it's was to the top of the engine, drained into the airbox from the breather hose, where it would be sucked into the carbs making the mixture too rich and stalling the bike. I had fixed the petcock prior to this, so after an oil change, the bike ran great without stalling.

Make sure you have fixed the petcock, carbs, or both before changing the oil. I wouldn't run it any more until you have fixed the problem. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
well carbs are obvoiusly leaking if oil is getting into the lower end, fix that problem and CHANGE the oil

(jayel playing nice because you do have a 83 XS650 even if you did chop it)
Even though I quoted you, Jayel, this note is for OP.
You should put what bikes you have in your signature so that SOME guys notice you belong here.
What has gotten in to 5t recently? I don't know.
Look at the garage title.
The Garage Motorcycle Related Discussion (Yamaha XS650, other makes and models, and anything else motorcycle related including tools and gear)
Although, clearly one wouldn't post a q about a gsxr, at least the kwak is a inline twin.
I don't mean to start bs with you, 5t, but as mine, and probably your mother said, "If you dont' have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I just figured out, after my signature didn't show up in my previous message, that I must have posted it with the "Quick Reply" option and forgot to check the "Show your signature" box. If that happens, you can edit your message with the "Go Advanced" option and select the "Show your signature" box, and give a reason for the edit. This is probably old news to most, but it may be why some members signatures aren't showing. Or they just didn't set up their signature... :shrug:

Back