Question for Canadian Memebers:650 Big Bore Kit from YamahaXS650.com

MacMcMacmac

Failed Hedonist.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone here in Canada purchased this kit from this vendor? Any import duty hassles? Did you save any money in the end?

My bike is using a lot of oil lately and needs some freshening up. The cam chain also seems to be near its limit of adjustment. I think a leaky left carb has ended up causing some scoring in the cylinder. Either that, or I just have a lot of blow by, since I don't see any blue smoke. Oil usage is undeniable though.

2 experiences for ya…

When I was building my cb750 I got a ton of parts from an outfit in Canada, never once did I pay for any import fees (shipped to California).

I know that is the reverse scenario but maybe it means something??

The other…

I recently sent a set of used carburetors to a guy in Canada and he was hit by UPS for an additional $90cad…

I don’t quite know if that was an import fee or what.

But even if you did get hit with a 100cad fee your cost would still be quite less than that of 650 direct.

No UPS!!! Always use USPS as they usually hand off to Canada Post. Most but not all of my orders heading north as long as under $100 don’t see duty or tax. Sometime there is a $10 feed from Canada post.

On a big kit like that $$$ you are likely going to get hit with the full meal deal of taxes, duty and fees.

If you get a US shipping address and bring it across yourself then sometimes they just wave you through depending on the $ and their demeanour at the time...

No UPS!!! Always use USPS as they usually hand off to Canada Post. Most but not all of my orders heading north as long as under $100 don’t see duty or tax. Sometime there is a $10 feed from Canada post.

On a big kit like that $$$ you are likely going to get hit with the full meal deal of taxes, duty and fees.

If you get a US shipping address and bring it across yourself then sometimes they just wave you through depending on the $ and their demeanour at the time...
I agree here ! Most of Canada lives within 100 Miles of the US borders
I’ve helped friends pick up truck engines even from the UPS store in Ogdensburg NY, boarder fees were small, and a few times non existent

I agree here ! Most of Canada lives within 100 Miles of the US borders
I’ve helped friends pick up truck engines even from the UPS store in Ogdensburg NY, boarder fees were small, and a few times non existent
Standard practice for me... I am within 100 kms or less of the US border. I have all my orders from the US shipped to a package service facility in Upstate NY and go pick them up when warranted. Depending on which border crossing you use and on the value of the goods, they are generally brought in duty and tax-free. Does suck up some time though...

I could pick it up at the UPS store in Ogdensburg, but that's 2hrs driving round trip + handling fees. At 30% on the exchange rate, the kit is $600 CAD before shipping, whereas the kit from 650Direct would be free shipping and here in 2 days. Maybe $200 savings, depending on whether or not you get dinged for duty at the border.

Back