lab metal

DIRTY DOG

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
ok all the powder coating guru's anyone use lab-metal how smoth can you get it does it work like bondo or lead looking to do a tank and frame mod's

Short answer is fairly smooth with enough filing work. We try to avoid doing any metal filler work, and attempt to convince customers to go with a texture, vs. a smooth gloss finish. I will have to look, and see the name of the product that we use. It's a 2 part compound, and it works much better for powder coating that anything else we have tried.

It's the same concept as bondo, just takes more work to get it nice and smooth.

I've heard that regular JB Weld works well. Not the quick set stuff.
Leo

We have had really poor luck with jb weld. A customer brought us some parts that were jb welded, and it cracked during the outgass process. To be fair, this was on cast iron parts. :doh:

I have always had great success with J.B. Weld. Lasts for years. I even used some on a cast aluminum pump at work years ago and I have heard it is still holding.

uploadfromtaptalk1437611468650.jpg This is the metal filler we use. Its made by Tiger, who makes some of the best powder there is. The metal filler is a 2 part compround, and spreads out very well. Let me know if you have any questions.

Are you talking a filler/ finisher for metal parts that can stand up to the heat of powder coating? Will ordinary lead filler behave if coated or is its melting point too close to the temperatures used?

JB Weld will off gas and shrink (a bit) in the oven - what has worked for me is this. After it is applied and it has dried for 24 hours I put it in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes - let it do what it wants to do. Then I file, sand and apply powder coating.

Back