Lacing different rim sizes to a hub and other suspension questions!

Rev D

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 79 with a rear drum and I was wondering if it is possible to just buy a bigger rim and the spokes for it and keep the same hub? Want the same diameer in the back as the front.

I may being asking out of ignorance, I assume that there is no provision for a rear wheel that is the same size as my front one that will just bolt up to my rear end.

Secondly, How can I estimate the amount of travel a shock would have?

My question circles the fact that I recently purchased the Brat kit from Visual Impact and I want to have my shocks set up for when I do the welding of the rear end (seems prudent), but I have no freakin idea what to source. I weigh about 220 and I'd like to be able to 2 up once in a while, but I don't want 12 inches of ground clearance:D My unreasonable ideal would be a shock with about 3 inches of travel so I can mount my fender to the frame without a huge gap between the rear tire and fender.

Oh yah, and not really suspension but where can I source a REALLY strong fender, something of a thick gauge maybe with a bead rolled through the middle for uber stregnth?

Thanks for the help, I am lovin all the informatin I have so far been able to collect, without you guys I would be flying blind!:thumbsup:

Okay so I looked at the thread already started on lacing and it seems that it might be possible but will need custom legnth spokes? If that's it the I am picking up a 19 inch rim asap. Can anyone confirm or deny this idea?

you could lace a 19 to the hub with custom spokes from buchannans. Also, xs650 standards all used an 18" rear wheel for a cheaper alternative. The most popular choice for bratstyle bikes are rebel 250 rear shocks. 2 up on a brat? with that kit where would they sit?

There's more to it than just the spoke length. A 19" front won't work on the rear without modding the spoke holes. The angles on them are wrong for the larger diameter rear hub.

Anyone know how much the angle of the spoke holes would have to be modified? I supposed that would depend on the front rim you plan to use and how much 'wiggle room' there is for the angle of the spokes leaving the rim.

I think ghetto wanted to know if he could buy a bigger rim and spokes and have them laced to his stock hub. I sent the stock hubs off my vstar 650 to buchanans spoke and rim and had them lace a 21" x 2.15" rim to the front hub and a 18" x 5.5" rim to the rear.

I have a 79 with a rear drum and I was wondering if it is possible to just buy a bigger rim and the spokes for it and keep the same hub? Want the same diameer in the back as the front.

The stock TIRE diameters are nearly the same. Probably about 1/8" difference. These are new Bridgestone Spitfire 11R.

FYI.

Attachments

• y9.jpg
    y9.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 150
  • y10.jpg
    y10.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 149
Back