Rear Shocks Upgrade Opinions?

By taking them apart I can test the dampers for function. I can then mix and match parts to come up with pretty bits,
Nothing wrong with that.. I hand tested my old "clapped out" OEM set. They passed well enough to live in a box for somebody someday instead of being tossed in the dumpster.
20200828_055406.jpg

I take shocks apart all the time for cleaning, spring swapping, and in the case of early Konis, damping adjustment. On the early Konis, you must remove the spring to adjust the damping setting. Once the spring is off, you push the damper rod in all the way and turn it for adjustment changes. Each half turn is a setting and counting full in or out positions, there are six. I made up fittings for my hydraulic press to remove and install the shock springs. I made one for shocks with "open" springs, one for shocks with spring covers .....

BOmvrzG.jpg

hCsfgZR.jpg

RrzdciP.jpg

I've also recently made up a bench top lever type based on this one .....

n6pV2wg.jpg

Pretty simple design and not worth the $80 to $100 they ask for it, in my opinion. I spent about $5 for hardware on mine, lol .....

Nczv9KP.jpg

Pe5eh5h.jpg

6QOMZaH.jpg

I just use 2 lightweight ratchet straps, and my bench vise. Run the straps up inside the spring, out near the top, and down on the outside. Tighten evenly until the circlip or retainer can be safely removed. This also is very gentle on the spring paint or chrome plating.

Last edited:
Back