lacing drum hub . . .

The angle of the spoke holes on the '75 rim may not match to a larger diameter drum hub. To get an idea of what I mean, take a look at the angle of the spokes on a front disc wheel and compare them to the spoke angles on a front or rear drum wheel.

- later model SR500s had a similar front drum brake to the XS1, 18in flat shoulder alu rims

Well this is what I have been wondering. At the moment I have nothing to compare to though. So I'm trusting you guys to tell me. I want to go to a drum brake on the front of my BritXS650 and would like to keep the match to the rear wheel; the aluminum high edge rims. Ideas?

Attachments

• slicer1.jpg
    slicer1.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 213
I think 5twins and inxs summed things up. The SR500 is the only front drum hub that I know of that will mate up to an XS rim and spokes without any real customization. After that you're talking about spokes from Buchanan's and modification to your wheel (if you DIY) or sending your rim to Buchanan's and having them do it for you. (or bringing it to a local shop who will get the spokes from Buchanan's.)

I have a drum from a '66 YA6 that I'm going to lace to a 16" rear rim. I'm not sure what the diameter is in relation to the original XS1, but it's probably close. The axle was narrower so I had it milled down. Buchanan's has a lot of the measurements for different hubs and wheels on file. If you get a hub they'll be able to help you match up a set of spokes.

Your other option is to find a wheel similar to yours with a drum hub, which seems fairly promising. Then you'll probably have to have an axle milled, get new spacers... Not much chance of a dirt-cheap customization option any way you look at it.

So if I get a SR500 I can make this work with my stock rim ? I got the impression from the posts above I would have to run the entire SR500 wheel . . no?

- the original drum front XS1 had 19in chrome rims, the SR500-18in...when swapping rims the problem is the angle the rim spoke holes are bored, if theyre not bored to the same angle as the spoke approach, the spoke head doesnt sit evenly in the dome and you get pressure points...rims start to crack at the spoke holes and spokes start to break-especially the more brittle stainless ones...for some this isnt such an issue but i ride a lot in the mountains etc so braking and cornering stresses are high
- another drum that commonly gets used is from a GT750 4LS waterbucket suzuki...take about 9mm off each side and rebore the fork for the non clamping end

IMG_0780.jpg

I know that about the wheel diameters and the chrome . . thats why I wanted to mate a drum into my aluminum rim. But I am unfamiliar with the SR500 wheel so I don't know what it looks like. Does it look like an XS650 wheel ? In the picture you show, is that of the Suzuki drum you speak ?? Does the drum from a chrome XS650 wheel fit an aluminum wheel??

Last edited:
- SR500 front...has 5 holes covered by black grommets, air vents are for show only...my experience shows this works better than the XS1 drum
PC110005-1.jpg

- dont forget to get this bracket with it, it holds the brake plate to the fork leg
file.jpg

- XS1 front drum...has 6 holes, air vents are open
xs1drum2aok0.jpg

- GT750J 4LS front drum...drums both sides...4 shoes
front1iw8-1.jpg

- the problem with fitting the drums to other rims is that the rim holes are drilled at a different angle...in a perfect world you would get a new rim drilled specifically for the drum

I think the problem is ANY drum hub is going to be bigger than a disc hub which would make the spoke angle different.

I just relaced a 73 ts500 rear rim to an 82 xs400 front hub, and spokes. Worked great. However they were both drum brakes, and the hubs were the same diameter.

You might have to find a rim that was originally mated to a drum brake of similar size to the drum you want to use. Unfortunately I can't make any recommendations here. Maybe search ebay for the rim size you want, then narrow it down.

XS400's had 18" front rims, but my wife's 400 drum stops better than my 650's disc. I don't know how you could fit it to the 650 though. It's actually keyed, and fit's over a tab on the front left side of the fork. There's no mounting strap or anything.

I don't know what the width is, but something like this MIGHT work for you. 19", Aluminum, drum, 36 spokes. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-A...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255d038347

Perhaps the ebay rim mated to an xs1 drum and spokes would work.

Last edited:
- the original drum front XS1 had 19in chrome rims, the SR500-18in...when swapping rims the problem is the angle the rim spoke holes are bored, if theyre not bored to the same angle as the spoke approach, the spoke head doesnt sit evenly in the dome and you get pressure points...rims start to crack at the spoke holes and spokes start to break-especially the more brittle stainless ones...for some this isnt such an issue but i ride a lot in the mountains etc so braking and cornering stresses are high
- another drum that commonly gets used is from a GT750 4LS waterbucket suzuki...take about 9mm off each side and rebore the fork for the non clamping end

IMG_0780.jpg

You seem to know something about this from your postings. I have a GT750 4ls brake assembly that intend to modify for my '82 XS650 project. It has been respoked to a correct NOS rim. I understand norrowing the hub, but have some questions on the details:
- appears that a correctly narrowed hub will require no spacers - right?
- I'm not clear on the axle mods. The "head" end of the GT750 axle seems to fit the left (split) side. Is the non-split side to be machined to fit the "nut" side of the axle? If so, how is this end secured. This is the "nut" side of the XS650 axle.
- I was wondering about swapping the two forks left to right and putting the disc brake mounts forward to use the upper one for a brake stay. Any thoughts on this?
Any advice will be appreciated.

I'm posting a response to my own question with the hope that it's useful to others. I fitted a GT750 4LS drum to my '82 XS650 cafe project. Here's what I did:
Measurements of the stock XS650 and the GT750 hub widths dictated ~1/8" (~3mm) off each side plate.
The stock XS650 axle was machined to the GT750 diameter (~15mm). This doesn't impact the threaded end so the stock nut can be used.
An insert (spacer) was fabricated and installed in the non-clampled end of the lower forks to make up for the 2mm taken off the axle.
The mounting tabs for the calipers were removed from both the fork lowers.
I am fabricating stays that will attach to both fender mount tabs (no fender), but will basically look like the stock GT750 stay.
Hope this useful.

Also, meant to mention that I bought front and rear NOS GT750 rims on Ebay and laced them to the GT750 front hub and the stock rear XS650 hub. The rear hub laced w/o problem. Bought spokes from Buchanan's.

Back