Lack of power in high rpms

bonesaw

Huney__Bear
Reaction score
Okay,I just finished swaping to hughs PMA and installed pamco points and sparx capacitor on my 1980 xs..bike runs and idles fine.at higher rpms on the road it lags a little power where I'm used to it being with my old tci ignition...

Question

If anyone else has had this issue.Is that lack of power related to timing?

Negative I just static times it.im gonna go buy a light.ive never used one and am trying to figure out how to exactly do that.any insight? Thanks for a reply by the way

I agree,thanks man I bought a light from harbor freight and got exactly what I paid for,a piece of crap.thanks again

Timing lights are easy to use. the one I had for years finally crapped out. I picked up one from Harbor Frieght Item # 03343. Works just fine.
It does have light weight wires, so you have to be careful with it.
Hook the battery clamps to the battery, hook the spark plug wire clamp on the plug wire.
Remove the round alternator cover.
Start the bike, pull the trigger on the timing light, point the flashing light at the timing marks. You may want to do this in a dimly lit area. Like in the garage, door closed and just enough lights on so you can see what your doing.
The flashing light of the timing light only lights up when the plugs fire. This lights up the timing marks just when the plugs fire. The marks should be easily seen. If the marks don't line up where they should at idle, loosen the screws and turn the sensor plate till they do.
Now rev the engine to 3000-3200 rpms the rotor mark should move smoothly over to the left. Over to but never past the full advance mark. On your 80 there isn't a full advance mark as on the earlier bikes.
On the bottom of the round hole the cover sets in is a notch. The left edge of this notch is the full advance position.
If your timing light gives inconsistent flashes try turning the plug wire clamp over.
Leo

Yeah got one from harbor freight myself.just actually put the light on it.i had the lead in the right side cable as I read somewhere.while running at idle,the mark on the PMA lines up at the line reading fire,when I accelerate the line doesn't move much towards the advance line. Also on my pamco the back plate is almost turned all the way clockwise...I'm thinking when I thought I was tdc while installing the points,I might have been on the wrong stroke? Could this be possible.

Back