Large Cyclone Comming

650Skull

Cockytoo
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Girls, Won't be in for a while as we have a massive cyclone bearing down on us here in the far north Queensland. catagory 4 and 1000klm's across with a possable 4-6 meter tidal surge. This is going to cause massive damage. http://www.usno.navy.mil/NOOC/nmfc-ph/RSS/jtwc/warnings/sh1111.gif

http://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/marine/wind/index.jsp

Moving 2 of my bikes out as i live one street back from the beach. the rest will have to stay and hope for the best.

On top of the flooding Queensland has just had this is going to heap a bloody lot more misery.

Catch you around.

Skull

Skull. Hope it passes quickly, with as little damage as possible. Just what you needed eh! Good luck on what you have to leave behind.

Thanks for the thoughts...........just hope no one gets killed.......damage can be fixed.........we had a high catagory 4 hit us 5 years ago with 10,000 houses damaged, took 3 years to fix all the houses with 3,000 extra builders coming into the area to help There is so much work down south from the floods the builders will be tied up..............this one is larger in size so hope it travels fast so the damage will be less.

Update: This is the largest cyclone in recorded history (European) 1the eye is 100klm's (60miles) across and supposed to take an hour to pass over. It has been pushed north of where i live to and meant to cross the coast south of Cairns. Storm surge is still likely to hit my house if it is 4meters (13ft), or more. (1 meter = 1 yard 3"). Lost power for 3 weeks when Larry went over 5 years ago so would expect the same again at least.
Got the generator going and stocked up on tinned food, Fuel and moving a lot of my bike gear around to my bro's. have 5 bikes, 3 in parts mostly and they will have to tough it out, the other two and all the good parts i have boxed up get to sit in my bro's lounge for a couple of days

Scroll down to the march 1918 Cyclone. this one could be as bad http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/about/cyclones-eastern-impacts.shtml.

THAT'S a sick lookin mother!

That's Australia though, a land of extremes! Either not enough water or to damn much!

Good luck to all Qld'rs

Where are you at Skull? Just heard from some buddies that there are Bullsharks swimming up and down Main St. in Goodna near Ipswich, which is what 32kms (20miles) inland from Moreton Bay????!!!!!!

Socopunk, We are about 1600klm's north of Ipswitch, 140k's south of Cairns,

latest map 1 [URL="http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml"]Map 2[/URL] she is a cataory 5 and the worst one to hit the coast. It has dropped down and is now heading right for where i live at Mission Beach :yikes:

All the hatches are battened down and the rain has stared with strong winds, talking about winds in excess of 280 kph, (roughly 165mph), with gusts over 300kph with a storm surge up to 6 meters. ...............This is a duzy................Due to hit in 8 hours at about 10pm.

Keep safe 650Skull. Thanks so much for the updates. I hear this is going to hit my family in townsville. Praying for everyone's safety.

All the hatches are battened down and the rain has stared with strong winds, talking about winds in excess of 280 kph, (roughly 165mph), with gusts over 300kph with a storm surge up to 6 meters.

Sounds unsurvivable. Hope there's more you aren't telling us, like for example you're nowhere near it.

My house is 1 street back from the beach. small as in small 2 story, top is an A frame, 4 bedroom 2 bathroom 1/2 block down stairs. It was built in 1970, has had ad ons an in those days there was no cyclone building codes , and when the ad ons done there was a lot of bush carpenters around
Im at my bro,'s around the corner and up a bit higher, should miss the surge but will cop the wind the house i'm in is a flat roofed block with a concrete ceiling safe room.
"Open the windows on the opposite side to the wind"

pics of my house. I :heart: the photo of the Poinciana flowering. The other is 4months later after cyclone Larry hit 5 years ago:(. Larry was a top end category 4.)

Trees, :thumbsup:(now i will preach the virtues of tees,) saved my house I lost the south wall and that is where the prevailing wind came from. It was rotten and the Termites had had a feed in the past so the insurance payed for something i
had to do any way. If i had not been surrounded by trees then the roof would have gone. i think they will protect this time as well but the severity is a lot greater.:eek:

To the left, in the pic of the trees flowering, is a culvert over a seasonal creek. My yard backs onto it and the surge will come up from there and possibly end up at the base of the Palms in the front .............under water:shrug:..............this paragraph is pure speculation but my house getting flooded is a certainty, just how bad is the question

Attachments

• P1020129.jpg
    P1020129.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 143
  • P1030729.jpg
    P1030729.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Capt_Zoom,
Townsville is going to cop it, evacuations in all low laying areas. They have 6 evacuation centers set up, and one is an underground car-park. It is the storm surge that accompanies this cyclone that is giving the most worry.
Have to start building underground like hobbits

The latest is,
this thing is hitting us head on and square to the coast. Yasi will still be a category 4, 200klm's, (120 miles for some:D), inland :yikes::wtf:

Back