large diameter shrink tubing

jayel

#9 Guru 74 TX650A
Reaction score
making up a oil filler plug thermometer for my SR500, got it expoxied (jbweld) to the filler cap but think it woud look better covered in black tubing anyone have access to a piece 1 3/4 dia. only need about a 1 1/2 long,

will do William thanks

Attachments

• S6300661.JPG
    S6300661.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 123
  • S6300662.JPG
    S6300662.JPG
    273.2 KB · Views: 114
here's the finished product, lost the out of oil mark but if you don't see oil it pretty easy to figure out you need to add some... thanks Dogbunny for the shrink tubing

Attachments

• S6300663.JPG
    S6300663.JPG
    277.2 KB · Views: 99
  • S6300664.JPG
    S6300664.JPG
    277.2 KB · Views: 97
  • S6300665.JPG
    S6300665.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 120
JL,

I want one! I see how you did this, now all I need is a spare oil tank cap in case I screw up my original. (This will likely happen.) I've been thinking about making a temperature gauge for my SR for quite some time. One thing I worry about is the vibration affecting the guage. I'm thinking I could drill a very tiny hole in the back of the guage case and use a hypo needle to fill the case with mineral oil (water clear). Epoxy would cover the hole. Oil is the way guages are damped but I don't know what afect oil might have on the construction of a random guage. Like the face made of stiff paper instead of metal, or the painted numbers detaching due to the oil.

Tom

Tomterrific, here are my instructions on how to make your own dipstick-thermometer:
http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=EngineStock&action=display&thread=16693
jayel consulted me on this, and I'm pretty sure he used those instructions.
When you see what the cost of the thermometer alone is, you will realize how reasonable the price of my own XS650 ThermoDipSticks are. I am using a custom-length thermometer, made specifically for me.

I set the thermo unit as deep as I could, hollowing out the body of the oil cap with a end mill cutter in my drill press, the 1 3/4 thermo dial is slightly larger than the SR oil cap....

PM me Tom if you want more details, like drilling a 1'' board with a hole saw then slotting it to hold the cap without screwing up its threads heck of a lot easier to hold on to when is clamped up in the drill press vise than just the cap

drilling a 1'' board with a hole saw then slotting it to hold the cap without screwing up its threads heck of a lot easier to hold on to when is clamped up in the drill press vise than just the cap

The cost of Dogbunny's product is very reasonable. And...it's the right length. And proven.

The cost of Dogbunny's product is very reasonable. And...it's the right length. And proven.
Thanks for the endorsement, but they are making SR thermometers. The threads of an SR dipstick are too fine for me to reproduce with my casting method.

^You might be able to cut the 650 one to a shorter length and have it still be accurate if it's just a bimetallic coil behind the face and a solid rod going down.

Back