last of the ThermoDipSticks

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I am down to my final 6 thermometers to be made into XS650 ThermoDipSticks. I usually make them in groups of 5 (I have 5 molds), but these last 6 will be made in two groups of 3 and 3, or 4 and 2. Each one is indexed individually, so I usually wait for an order to come in, make one to that order, and make the rest with random indexes, knowing that someone will eventually need the "random" ones. However, I would like to make all of these last 6 to order. I just got one order, so I need at least a couple more orders to fill my next group.

If interested, please go to:
http://www.handspiral.com/ThermoDipStick.htm
to determine your engine's "index" and to order, or PM me here.
Thank you, -- William

Is it okay if I put the link to your fabulous pottery work here? I think you will sell some pots :)

Thanks for the kind sentiments. I have been pretty much retired from ceramics for many years, but if anyone wants to see what I used to do, they can go here:
http://www.handspiral.com/index.htm
Even though I haven't fired a kiln in about 5 years, and most of my work is sold, I still have several excellent Uranium-Yellow Small Bowls and "Sushi Severs." Examples can be seen here:
http://www.handspiral.com/blog.htm
The Uranium-Yellow glaze became my signature. Pieces glazed with it ARE radioactive and will glow under a blacklight. But, uranium oxide as a glaze colorant aside, my work was still quite rare and difficult to make -- the patterns are made by crystals -- think quartz crystals -- that actually grow on the molten glaze surface while in the white-hot kiln.

wow , just had a look at your pottery , pity your in the states , nice work , by the way bought 2 of your dip sticks maybe 7/8 yrs ago and both are still doing fine

+1 on the dipstick quality! Dogbunny’s thermo-dipsticks are a very worthwhile product for our wonderful old bikes IMO.

Aside from a serious internal mechanical failure (unlikely with the tough old XS650) or a fuel blockage (unlikely - except of course in the case of my beloved Lucille :yikes:) about the only thing that can wrong with our air-cooled bikes once we get them running is overheating. This can happen in traffic or perhaps the desert if you’re going slowly.

Having that thermo-dipstick keeping track of the oil temperature is a good thing.

Pete

Hooray! I have sold all of my ThermoDipSticks! Will be making and shipping the last two units in the next couple of days. The ordering page is gone, never to return!

Thanks to everyone who bought one. The technology was pretty simple, but getting a good result was extremely fussy. In an effort to get as perfect a finished product as possible, I kept on adding step after step, until there were hundreds of steps that went into each one. It became a lot of work and not much fun. So, I am very happy not to have to make any more.
Thanks again to all.

Rev. 2, designed for production, will be you can twist the thermometer any way you want and not have to index them.

That's how the ones Heiden Tuning makes work. If anyone wants one, order from Heiden, but know that only Celsius is available, although they do offer a choice of white or black face.
The Heiden ones are a great product, but the twist mechanism makes them comparatively tall and wide, and a bit heavy and gawky. Mine were low-profile -- I got a lot of compliments on that, and they weighed considerably less than stock.

Dang. Missed out.. u dont have any any rejects that are clocked wrong? I just never get t around to it. Been wanting one since the old sight was up.

Bummer... I knew this was going to happen.
No spares or rejects. I only kept one, the one in my daily rider, for myself. I have my early prototype, and my "model" which I used to make my molds, both of which I am keeping.
SPEAKING OF THE PROTOTYPE: If anyone wants to make their own one-off ThermoDipStick, the procedure is described in this link:
http://xs650temp.proboards.com/thread/16693/temp-dipstick-homemade-simple-cheap
It's all there.
Or, buy the Heiden Tuning one.

Or.....F=(C x 9/5) + 32

Or, quick and close....double C and add 30

Or get a unit convertor app for your stoopid phone

Or.....F=(C x 9/5) + 32

Or, quick and close....double C and add 30

Or get a unit convertor app for your stoopid phone
Or just say... "hey google, convert 15C to F..."

I've been developing a kinda rough translation table, °C to °F, based on personal Texican preferences and experiences for various temps. Helps to get that associative feeling.

0°C = 32°F --- Freezing, of course.
10°C = 50°F --- Too cold to go outside, unless I must.
15°C = 59°F --- About my limit for outdoorsy stuff.
20°F = 68°F --- Tolerable outdoors, need jacket for ridin'.
25°C = 77°F --- Pleasant outdoors, ridin' jacket optional.
30°C = 86°F --- Warm, great for ridin'.
35°C = 95°F --- Hot outside, great for ridin'.
40°C = 104°F --- Really hot outside, watch it.
40°C = 104°F --- Bike oil temp warmed up enuff to rev.
90°C = 194°F --- Ideal fully-warmed engine temps.
100°C = 212°F --- Boiling point, of course
110°C = 230°F --- Don't care for oil temps higher than this.
120°C = 248°F --- If it gets this warm, shut down the bike for awhile.
130°C = 266°F --- Dino oils start to break-down.
185°C = 365°F --- Melting region of solder.
327°C = 621°F --- Melting region of lead.
660°C = 1220°F --- Melting region of aluminum.

Back