Learning to MIG weld - offer your tips & resources

David M

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a Lincoln 140c MIG welder. Not having done any welding since high school ( 40 or so years ago), I'm practicing running beads and finding online resources to educate myself.

Youtube has a number of videos but some are really poor. Lots of bright light but I can't see what some of the guys are really doing up close as the beads get laid down. So, I thought I'd start this thread where we could share the online resources we've found and maybe the experts amongst us could chime in as the Q & A develops.

Here is one that I found today. There's even a flash video that can actually be seen and some good tips that have already taught me where I was going wrong.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/tutorial.htm

In short order my welds are coming out better already. I suspect the biggest gains will be early in the learning experience.

Please add your comments and online resources that we can all learn from. Please - MIG ONLY, and preferably on mild steel which I'm guessing is going to cover 95% or more of what us amateur welder / bikers are likely to do. Discussions about other types of welding and material types could really divert us from what is likely to be of the most benefit.

I taught MIG welding to HS kids. I imagine you learned to arc and gas welding in HS correct?? There are some things you can apply to MIG welding learned from those types of welding.

when I bought my welder (snap-on mm140) I got ahold of a bunch of scrap metal and used up the initial 2lb spool just practicing and learning. I then built a trailer (five years and my welds are still holding). Biggest thing I can say is make sure your work is clean and free of rust.

welder 25 years. i recommend 2oo amp 280 volt machine,90/10 gas .035 or .030 solid wire. small welders will work but be careful test your welds. penetration is the key

Back