Leather Jackets?

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Riding season is coming shortly, but it'll be some kinda chilly mornings, so I'm going to splurge on a leather jacket with a removable liner.

I want something in black (or at least monochrome) with a mandarin collar and a minimum of chrome snaps/zippers/buckles, my name ain't Fonzarelli...:thumbsup:

Suggestions for brands and sources?

Corazzo makes a nice leather jacket. Heavy, ce armour, reflective striping, nifty cafe style, zip out liner, and it has a mandarin collar. I have two Corazzo jackets and I love them. The leather 5.0 is the next jacket I plan to purchase. You can usually find them at local scooter shops, no problem.

Vanson. I picked up a Drifter last year, and have been completely satisfied. Added their zip-in liner for fall riding, didn't miss a beat.

Maybe expensive to some, but you absolutely get what you pay for. If for any reason you find yourself passing through southern Mass., their factory showroom in Fall River is not to be missed... like a motorcycle history museum attached to the sort of real honest American manufacturing plant that your kids probably won't believe still exists.

They have a few blow-out sales throughout the year, and keep a few racks of unadvertised seconds available.

wow. 419. i hate my fmc pistol pete. Cheap. 250$ no insulation except the liner. I usually wear my first gear textile, unless it is really hot out

I have a "First Gear" leather rider's jacket which has a zip in liner for cold weather and zippered air vents in the sleeves, chest and back for hot weather. I have had it for ten years or more, it just keeps getting better with age. If you are going to buy on line, make sure you know what size you need.

Fox Creek Black Rock jacket. Looks like the price went up since I bought mine a few years back. Heavy leather with insulated, removable liner. Nice an warm on cold mornings.

I'm cleaning out my closet if interested, 42 Long. PM if want more info.

Posted via Mobile

wow. 419.

Yeah, and it says it's only medium weight. The jacket I wore down here looked like it had been hung out the car door in the wind and rain for a couple months which is approximately what happened to it. I found the one I have now at the Goodwill for $29.95. I remember the price because I thought it was expensive for Goodwill :)

If you want a liner for the warmth, I would forgo that in favor of a wool or 80/20 wool heavy shirt, like an old time cpo jacket, that you can get at an army surplus store. The jacket leather ought to be real thick, it ought to feel a lot like shoe leather. It ought to have either zipper cuffs or knit cuffs. Chilly wind blowing up your arms gets old fast! If you have a choice get one that includes elbow, shoulder, and back armor. I think it's good if it's a little bit too small too.

FWIW,
I purchased a jacket from Leather Up .com for less than $50. Keeps out the cold, and is pretty durable. I've had it for 5 years now, with no problem other than the small strap on the main zipper tearing off. :shrug:

Another Fox Creek leather jacket here, I think it's the nicest quality leather I've ever seen, plus they're all made in America right here in Va.

wow. 419...
Yeah, and it says it's only medium weight.

Who pays full retail? I didn't. Still, if you value American-made, it won't be cheap. The best seldom is.
The "medium weight" Vanson leather was at least as heavy-duty as every other full-protection jacket I tried from several manufacturers. Honestly, I have no idea who could stand to wear Vanson's "competition weight" jackets; they're like steel plate armor.

^The few Vansons that I've had a hold of felt fairly thick and seemed high quality. Don't know if it was medium or competition. They would just state the thickness of the leather as well as the type of leather in the ad if they weren't trying to trick you. I don't trust American capitalists any more than communist capitalists :)

I'm making the move more and more to textile. I find them lighter, warmer, and more comfortable than leather. I still have plenty of leather but don't wear it much anymore. In leather I actually eventually ended up with the traditional "biker" style and grew to love it. There's a reason that style is so popular - it's very versatile. With the lapels open, it lets in plenty of air in the hot weather. Fully zipped up, it's warm in colder weather. I finally found the best of both - a traditional "biker" style in textile.

Wooo.

Thanks for all the responses, gives me a variety of options. Unfortunately, $500 for a coat ain't gonna happen on my budget.

Question: How does textile stack up against leather in the protection department? I'm assuming you can get textile jackets with pockets for the usual padding/inserts?

I'm leaning toward leather because for the traditional aspects, but I might could be convinced otherwise.

Another suggestion would be to try a few brands on to get a feel for their sizing, then start trolling ebay. There are often some vintage classics that pop up there which would be worth considering.

Wooo.

Thanks for all the responses, gives me a variety of options. Unfortunately, $500 for a coat ain't gonna happen on my budget.

Question: How does textile stack up against leather in the protection department? I'm assuming you can get textile jackets with pockets for the usual padding/inserts?

I'm leaning toward leather because for the traditional aspects, but I might could be convinced otherwise.
If you ever find yourself in sliding position,"Textiles" well melt due to friction but the protection for the traditional area's prone to injury are spot on,there's a reason why racers wear leather. But I wear textile for protection for cost reasons, they're much more comfortable to wear,lighter and they seem to breath easier on those extreme hot days

Downeaster, I've been wearing the same Hein Gericke leather jacket since the mid-eighties. Snap out liner, reasonably warm enough down to about 55f and with the liner out still ok at 80f. More importantly, in 1996 I dropped my FLSTC on a highway curve at about 60mph. (oil on the road) Bike went one way, I went another, across the oncoming lane and about 75' down the ditch. Jeans exploded, helmet cracked, that jacket took it in stride. Scuffed a bit but it saved my pretty parts. If it had been fabric I'd have lost a lot of skin.

roy

If you want leather and you want cheap, I'll second the vote for leatherup.com. I am very happy with mine. It is a real, thick, very heavy and serious jacket, but cheap because they are made by third world virtual slaves.

Back